Chapter 5 Pontarlier Gap

"Looks like a python I saw once in South America," the helicopter pilot commented to his companion as they flew over the line of vehicles snaking through the French Alps. 

"Oui," the co-pilot answered, using the remote control to aim the camera attached to the belly of the helicopter. He watched the picture line up on his vid screen and started recording the convoy of lorries and caravans.

He grinned when the convoy turned "I think I know where they're heading."

"Where?" the pilot asked as he made a slight course correction.

"Pontarlier Gap."

"Why would Travellers go there? Once you're through Comté, it's all country-side. Tourist season is over, there's no one to rob and they're too lazy to work a farm."

"Who knows, Émil, I don't think anyone's ever researched where Travellers migrate."

"I do not understand Doctor Barrow. I met him in August. He is a brilliant man. Why would he put himself with such stupid people? Makes no sense."

"Mon Ami, I have discovered the brilliant ones usually have no sense," the pilot answered. "Storm's coming, we need to go back."

~~

Driving past the line of military vehicles, seeing an occasional helicopter flying overhead, left a white-hot rage in Daniel. It was bad enough Pete had the gall to follow him, but involving the military bordered indefensible. I'm not a bloody child, he thought when the last truck disappeared around a turn. Dark storm clouds threatening a deluge added to his sour mood. Less than a mile after crossing into France, the skies opened up, forcing Daniel to focus on negotiating each hairpin curve. The rain slick roads led to bridges that were strung between gorges running hundreds of feet deep before curving around blind corners as they descended the mountain. Rugged peaks gave way to sheer walls of granite. The taillights of Tomasis' caravan acted as a beacon as they drove on through pounding rain.

"Finally," he said with a relieved sigh when the rain stopped. The convoy made one final hairpin turn through a gap that gave way to the Pontarlier Valley. "Piloting the TARDIS is less stressful than that mountain.

"At least it stopped raining," she said.

Daniel snorted but flashed a smile at her. "How is it you were terrified of driving the roads at home, but this doesn't bother you?"

Addie grinned. "I trust your driving?"

"Right," he chuckled. "Maybe Demetri will stop and we can stretch our legs," he said. A glance in the back seat told him two sets of lungs would soon be complaining as Jaimie and Wilf began to squirm in their car seats.

It was a disappointment when they continued on. Still, fussing babies or not, the further away from his confrontation with Pete, the more Daniel relaxed. By the time the convoy drove through Pontarlier, to the valley, he was almost enjoying the passing scenery. The occasional rustic farmhouse dotted the French countryside of rolling pastures lightly shrouded in mist. Robbie kept his camera pointed out the window, videoing everything and adding his own commentary on the differences between French cows and Scottish cows.

When Demetri finally led the convoy to a neglected gravel road and turned, two whimpering babies and a restless dog made stopping soon an imperative. Expecting the road (capable of testing the very best of shock absorbers) to take them to another park, Daniel was stunned when the jarring ride brought them to a bucolic farm. The convoy snaked its way up a lane, finally coming to a stop in a barnyard. Shouts of welcome in a mixture of French and Romani greetings shattered the quiet afternoon as the Travellers exited their vehicles much to the joy of an old man limping his way across the yard.