Chapter 26 Everybody Has A Day

The small conference room felt crowded with six people seated around the small table studying documents, sipping coffee and making recommendations for each educational plan. Parents nodded like they understood and he explained where the student still needed help. The hard part came in between the parent sessions, like now. Dealing with the newly elected member of the governing board gave him heartburn. Or maybe it was the Bespoke sandwich he'd gobbled over lunch. The belch threatened to be epic. His attention wandered from the numbers crunching to the next meeting Sarah Jane had slid into his afternoon agenda. One Steven Crellwer: fourteen, five foot seven and disruptive. Despite putting the class over the limit, it was his only alternative to staying out of a council school for boys.

The new board member prattled on about costs and budgets. This meeting brought back memories of his first encounter with Rory Williams. At least Williams mellowed after seeing the results of Daniel's teaching. Daniel's eyes glazed over. Images of Rose, pizza dribbling down her chin, flitted across his mind. A sharp elbow in his rib cage snapped him from his moment of reflection, taking the half smile with it. "Sorry, I was just thinking about my next appointment," he sputtered then smiled. "What was your your question again?"

"I asked, Mr. Barrow, why you find it necessary to waste time teaching William Stillblade to students who can not comprehend his plays?"

Daniel's eyes narrowed, his eyebrows furrowed, deepening the crinkle above his nose. He ran his tongue over his back teeth and leaned against his chair. "Well, first of all, Mr. Cromaty, teaching the Bard to children with learning difficulties expands their ability to comprehend the use of language and it teaches them life skills about the real world."

The balding, middle-aged man scoffed. "How does learning about the angst of Julius and Ramona teach life skills?"

Daniel flashed a cold smile, ignoring Sarah Jane's grip on his knee. "Conflict resolution, teenage love; you'd be amazed at how much my kids get out old Bill," he retorted.

"I was elected to the Governors' Board on the promise to ensure this school uses its funds properly. It would seem to me a better use of time and resources would be to focus on real life skills," Mr. Cromaty said.

Daniel leaned forward with his elbows on the table, arched an eyebrow and widened his eyes. He was tired, his stomach rolled and he was in no mood for fools. "Are you a teacher, Mr. Cromaty? Do you have any idea what it takes to make these kids successful instead of rejects headed for a council home?"

"I am not a teacher, but I do understand finances, and the usage of resources has increased substantially since you came to work here. I am recommending class size be increased next year to twenty students. This - new boy will put you at fifteen, enabling you to practice your management skills."

Daniel smacked the desk and turned, glowering at Sarah Jane. Her expression frozen, she slid her hand over and quietly patted Daniel's arm. "Mr. Cromaty, I recognise you are new to the board so you may not be aware of all the constraints placed on us by the national council of education. I'm sure Mr. Williams will bring you up to speed. By law, we are capped at one teacher per seven students. Your suggestion would require the hiring of at least a pupil support aide at a cost of fifteen thousand pounds per year. We have received a waiver for the edition of Mr. Crellwer because another student is rejoining regular classes and two more will begin supported services in three of their classes. I might add, not one of those students was believed to stand a chance in a regular classroom. They are returning due to Mr. Barrow's instructions. You also may not be aware that he covered the costs of two special trips for the students at the beginning of the year and at end of this term, and for visitors to the classroom out of his own pocket. To say he does not manage resources is ludicrous."