chapter 1 | a shot for good luck

the song for this chapter is Bookstore Girl by Charlie Burg :)

Greyson Emerson

I'm one of the greatest cities in the world, and yet I'm stuck in a small bookshop that smells like old paper, leather, and coffee. Don't get me wrong, I love working here, but when only 15 costumers come in and is considered a busy day, it gets a bit boring.

I reorganize the shelves, do paper work, cleaning, and go through the delivery boxes and read the newest books that come in. Day after day, it's the same thing.

Summers in New York City are not as glamorous as they may seem.

Humid subways, eager tourists, and the only pool you may get is either at a luxury apartment or hotel. Sometimes, you may not even get that. People returning from college, kids on summer break just looking to get drunk and high, and shitty parties that accommodate for that.

As I'm deep in the box of the newest shipment in the back, I hear the small ring of the bell on the door open.

"Greyson? Where are you?" the familiar New York accent rumbles thorough the small shop.

"Iris, what are you doing here?" I say as I walk out of the back room with a copy of a classic romance book: Pride and Prejudice.

As Iris comes into view she is wearing a graphic baby tee, flared jeans, and platform boots with two cups of coffee in her hand. She hands me one of the cups and I direct her to sit on the couch behind her.

As she sits down she directs her attention to me and my appearance, which is not the best considering I've been here since 3 o'clock and it's now 10 due to me having to stay until close and lock up.

I'm wearing a simple forest green crop top, distressed mom jeans, black converse, and a grey zip up due to the temperature in the store always seeming to get colder throughout the day. My hair is back in a simple claw clip and minimal makeup on with light jewelry covering my neck, ears, and fingers.

"You look cute, what's the occasion?" I say with a smirk knowing she loves to look, good no matter the occasion.

"Very funny. Grey, it's 10 o'clock and you're still here, we have places to attend!" she says excitedly with a spark in her eyes.

"What do you mean "places", I thought we were going to stay home and watch Netflix tonight?" I ask as I roll my eyes, realizing my Friday night plans are going to take a turn.

She rolls her eyes with amusement in her voice, "Well not anymore, Zayn invited us to a party and we're going! Everyone is going to be there and you know how the boys like to party."

Ah, "the boys".  Also known as Zayn, Niall, Louis, and Liam, the best party throwers in New York City. Their parties normally consist of as many different kinds of alcohol you can imagine, drugs, and nice, luxury apartments and penthouses.

And somehow, we're friends with them. We both have known Zayn since high school, ever since we all shared a blunt behind the school during P.E. He then introduced us to Niall, Louis, and Liam. Iris has somehow had a fling with all of them except Zayn and has managed to not make it awkward between everyone.

Yet somehow, the biggest lives of the party manage to be friends with someone who sucks the life out of everything: Harry Styles. The biggest player and douchebag in the city. Want an easy fuck? As long as he's attracted to you, you can get exactly that. A one-night stand from a guy you should not expect to stay the night or call you the next day.

Luckily, for everyone, he left last year and no one has heard from him since. Him and I haven't really liked each other ever. We tolerated each other's presence around others, but always bickered. Then one night, one random party, suddenly, any neutral feeling for each other, got diminished completely.