Prologue

A Grunt cried out as a bullet pierced its methane tank, a second soaring into its head and silencing it. . .

A squad of seven UNSC marines stepped into the plaza, the corpses of their alien invaders littered about, blotches of red and blue staining the streets. The Orbital Drop Shock Trooper in command of the regiment kicked over the corpse of a writhing Jackal, the 'Sapphire' inscribed on her helmet flashing as she pulled the trigger, Shotgun kicking back against her chest-piece.

Sapphire: Set up a perimeter, and double-tap while you do it.

Yes ma'am!

Four of the marines split from the group, then splitting into twos to cover the two entrances to the plaza, the rest of them entering an extra bullet into the heads of the dead Covenant. The ODST activated her VISR, a map appearing on her heads-up-display. This plaza was last checkpoint humanity needed to secure, to fully push the Covenant out of the city.

Sapphire: . . . Nereth, Kila, on me. We need to sweep these building for any Covie activity.

Two of the marines  who were tasked with ensuring the aliens were truly dead, stood at attention.

Marines: Yes ma'am!

The two nodded to one another and raised their assault rifles. The CO

Sapphire: Rest of you, hold this position. I don't want anything getting into this plaza!

The ODST turned to the first of the four large buildings in the plaza, holding her Shotgun close to her chest as she began to march forth.

Sapphire: I'll take point, Nereth hold up the rear, Kila flanks.

With the formation set, the three soldiers cautiously crept through floor after floor of the apartment complex. The sheer amount of blood dashing the walls was nauseating, and the stench of boiled flesh was suffocating. . .

Kila: Ma'am, we have a live one over here!

The three women entered one of the rooms, a fourth woman leaning against the wall, drenched in blood. . . that sadly was not her own.

Sapphire: Miss, can you hear me. . .? Ma'am?

The ODST crouched down and leveled her visor with the vacant, lifeless eyes. . . A sigh left Sapphire's mouth before she stood and drew her Magnum, unceremoniously shooting the woman through the head.

Nereth: What the hell?!

Kila: Ma'am, with all due respect, what the fuck is wrong with you?!

Sapphire: . . . She was already gone.

And that was the end of it. As the three left the woman behind, Nereth let out a small prayer.

Nereth: (Whispers) May God have mercy on their souls. . . .

Soon, they finished sweeping the upper floors, but realized that there was a sub level accessible through the elevators. Upon stepping in, they began a routine weapons check as the numbers on the monitor slowly began to drop. . .

Nereth: I've got a bad feeling about this.

Kila: You've always got a bad feeling about something.

Nereth: Yeah, and when I do, I'm right.

Kila: Ah, bullshit-

Sapphire: Can it!

Her command was followed and the elevator soon slid open. Their flashlights flickered on as they stepped into the dark basement. It looked like a basic storage area, but the crimson liquid on the floor made it clear someone tried to hide down here. The ODST kneeled and dipped a few fingers into the blood. . .

Sapphire: This is fresh. Keep your eyes peeled and weapons ready.

She rose up and crept forward. There was a back room, the three closing in on the door. Muffled cries echoed throughout the sub level. . .

Nereth: Is that. . . a kid?

A harsh bang suddenly filled their ears, a menacing growl echoing throughout the sub-level!

Kila: Contacts! Contacts!

The three spun around as an Elite Zealot uncloaked, it's arm slamming into Kila and flinging her into a wall! It's Energy Sword ignited and it slashed at Nereth, whose rifle was cut in two. She stumbled and fell as the Elite swung its blade at the ODST, Sapphire rolling beneath the swing and springing up behind the towering monster. It snapped toward her, bursts from an Assault Rifle crashing into its left side and damaging its shielding!

The Zealot turned to Kila, the marine holding the down the trigger and emptying her entire magazine into the Elite, its ridiculously powerful shielding somehow holding itself together! She tossed the weapon aside and was slammed into the wall while trying to draw her Magnum. The Energy Sword slashed down, but before the soldier could be cut in two, the Elite's shields cracked and shattered, accompanied by a thunderous crackle!

Sapphire cocked her Shotgun, the empty shell ejecting from the weapon as a new one entered the chamber, the exposed Zealot letting out an enraged roar. The ODST fired again, shooting the Energy Sword right out of the Elite's hands as she marched forward! A third blast crashed into its chest before a fourth fired into its head, its blood splattering on the wall. . .! Sapphire let out a disgusted snarl before composing herself and eyeing her dazed subordinates.

Sapphire: Get up, Private! Take a nap once we get out of this!

Kila: (wheezes) Y-Yes ma'am!

The marine grunted as she picked herself up from the ground, grabbing her discarded Assault Rifle and reloading as Nereth lifted up the two pieces of what was once her own. For a brief moment, the cries beyond the door were forgotten. Yet as the wails began anew, the three women found themselves standing before the door once more. . .

Nereth: Damn thing was using whoever's in there as bait. Bastard. . .

Sapphire: . . . Nereth, get that door open.

The Marine tightened the grip on her Magnum with one hand as the other twisted the knob agonizingly slow, the ODST standing at the ready with her Shotgun aimed at the growing entrance to the room. . . The door swung open and the weapons were ready to fire as they entered. All they saw was the dead body of a man and a woman. . . and what they could only assume was their crying child.

His screams only grew louder as they approached. The poor boy couldn't have been in the world of the living for very long. . .

Kila: Is rescuing civilians part of our orders. . .?

It is now.

Sapphire Andria gently removed her helmet, letting her shoulder-length black hair free as her blue eyes glimmered in the shadows. She set her weapon aside and carefully lifted the bundle of joy into her arms. . .

Sapphire: Easy kiddo. . . Easy. It'll be okay.

The tuft of raven black hair atop his head swayed as he let out a sneeze, the trooper smiling as she ran a finger down his and tan cheeks. Embroidered in gold onto the baby's blue onesie was his name. . .

You're safe now, Aris. . . .

—————————————————————