Chapter 7 Exodus

The reentry unit rattled, the clasps holding it shut coming undone. Before the hatch could fully open, the joints jammed. With sigh, Aris-B333 tore off the top half of the machine. Taking the Magnum stored inside, Noble Six rose to his feet, stomping onto the snow.

Aris: I'm going to miss you, 'Nade Launcher.

He turned back to the wreckage of the Long Night of Solace, or what was left of it. The once regal silvers and violets were had become scorched black and grey. The supercarrier was nothing more than cinders and smoke, just as planned. . . Yet the blade of the Covenant was still held at Reach's throat.

Aris: Okay Aris. . . Now what?

August 23rd, 2552. 15:34 Hours

The lone Spartan III hiked to the top of a ridge, smoke obscuring the rising sun. Three Covenant Corvette's came into view as he reached the cliff. . . On the horizon, the City of New Alexandria was under siege. The crown jewel of Reach had become a war zone.

Aris gazed down the last remnant of Noble Five, tightly clenched in his fist, before marching onward. . . .

———————————————————————

Noble Six soon found himself creeping along the railing of an overpass near the outskirts of the city. Quietly maneuvering along, he leaped down onto a lower level. He winced as he felt a sting on his injured leg before sucking it up and standing.

Aris: Okay Aris, take things slow.

Distance gunshots were rampant, the burns left behind by plasma marring just about every surface of the once sleek and futuristic city. The Spartan cautiously maneuvered down the ramp ahead of him, the sun momentarily peering through the clouds of smoke and illuminated the massacre at the base of the platform. . .

Aris: . . . Just breathe, Aris. Breathe.

A brief chirp of static soon pulled his thoughts away.

Kilo: (com) This is Kilo dispatch. All available teams advance to Traxus Tower. Evacuation will commence ASAP. Let's move these civilians before it's too late.

Aris: Kilo Dispatch! This is Noble Six, come in! Do you read me?

Instead of receiving a response, another answered Kilo's hail.

Gunner Sergeant Stacker: (com) Copy dispatch, Four-Zero out.

Aris: This is Noble Six, can anyone- oh! To hell to this! Quit wasting time!

So much for taking it slow. Entering a crumbling building, the Spartan encountered the culprits behind the massacre. Aris wasted no time dispatching the Skirmisher scouts, three bullets to each of their heads. . .

Sergeant Major Duvall: (com) Romeo Company, be advised. We have reports of Covenant suicide squads.

Romeo Company: (com) You gotta be kidding me.

Duvall: (radio) That's a negative, keep your eyes open trooper.

Aris: Well, isn't that just great.