Chapter 8 New Alexandria

August 23rd, 2552. 18:57 Hours

The setting sun was obscured by an all encompassing cloud of smoke. New Alexandria burned away with every passing moment, the streets and skies crawling with Covenant.

Aris: Wasn't Reach supposed to be. . .?

Perishing the thought, Aris stood tall in the bay of the Pelican. The aircraft descended over a high rise, one of the many surrounding ONI HQ.

Aris: Whose idea was it to make the obvious giant tower our base? (sighs)

The Pelican touched down, the Lieutenant's boots hitting the ground before he waved off the pilot. His azure visor glimmered for a moment, all the scratches and smudges from battle visible to all. Waiting for him atop a set of stairs was Noble Actual, his Commando Class MJOLNIR carrying the battle-scars of not just this battle, but all the battles before Reach. . .

Carter: Your report will have to wait, Lieutenant. The Covenant are jamming all comms to command. Kat needs your help running a counter-op.

Aris: Sounds like it'll be fun.

The two Spartans approached a landing platform, or rather a makeshift one. A Falcon awaited them.

Carter: It's good to have you back. . .

Aris: . . . Sorry I came alone.

Make him proud.

The reunion ended as quickly as it began, Noble Six standing alone before the Falcon.

Kat: (com) Get your wings on, rookie. You're flying this Falcon.

Aris: Heh. . . (Smiles) It's always flying with you, isn't it?

Kat: (com) You seem to have a talent for it.

Two Marines manned the turrets on either side of the Falcon as the Spartan entered the cockpit. The propellers and thrusters came to life and aircraft lifted from the landing pad.

Kat: (com) Covenant have deployed comm jammers at the highrises across the city. When I find them, you hit them. Hard.

Aris: My score's going to skyrocket, you know?

Kat: (com) I'll be ahead of you in no time.

The aircraft began to soar in the skies above the desolate city. Smog had completely engulfed the surface of Reach. Every so often, another skyscraper would collapse and vanish beneath the cloud of darkness. . .

Kat: (com) Stand-by, rookie. One of our Trooper squads went silent after the hospital got hit. I'll mark the location. Complete their mission, and take out that jammer.

Aris: On the way.

Kat: (com) Oh, and don't fall in love with my voice. The closer you are to the jammer, the worse comms are going to get.

Aris: Heh, I was just getting attached too.

As they neared the hospital, Banshees began to emerge from the depths, streams of plasma reaching for the Falcon! Six maneuvered between plasma bolts and unleashed heavy rounds from the Falcon's auto-cannon. A few bursts was all it took to tear a Banshee apart, Aris's gunners aiming their turrets on the second. Before long, the Covenant Aircraft was popped out of the air.

Noble Six soon arrived at his destination, a blue cross marking the New Alexandria Hosptial. The Falcon landed on the courtyard, between a small collection of trees planted on the roof.