0012

The flaming hills turned the morning clouds an ominous orange. The smoke picked up in the wind and stung Thea's throat as she rolled down the windows to listen to the distant screams.

"Take it easy, Kaleo," Ezi coaxed from the back.

The truck didn't slow. It jumped and banged against the rocky dirt road as they barreled down and around another hill.

Thea studied him.

Kaleo's knuckles were paled as he gripped the steering wheel, and his big brown eyes were electrified like he was staring death right in the face.

"Alethea," he uttered almost inaudibly.

"Yeah Kaleo?"

"What... what's happening?"

Her heart sunk into her stomach. It was dead silent inside the truck; she glanced back to see the others turned around or leaning forward to study her expression.

"It's a toxin," she explained, "that only effects Koro people. It kills you in seconds."

Kaleo punched the dashboard and muttered curses in his own language.

Thea reached for her his forearm and squeezed.

"We'll get them out, Kaleo. Trust me."

She could see the muscles in his throat tighten as he clenched his jaw.

She turned to study Ember whose eyes were closed and lips moving to a silent prayer.

Kaleo nearly crashed the truck into a pine tree on the rocky brink of the slope towards the river and everyone else lept out except for Alex.

"Kaleo, the keys!"

He tossed her the keys and she tossed them to her sister.

"You stay here! Come fire or Seras, drive!"

"But I don't know how to drive!"

"It goes where you point it!"

Thea rushed around the back to gear up.

"What can you offer me?"

Hitoshi broke open a metal case.

"Arms up!"

She complied and he yanked a bullet-proof vest over her torso, adjusting it to her size then snapped a weapon's belt around her waist, snapping two pistols and a knife in place.

"Our pistols have some kick so keep your arm slightly bent your wrist firm and your muscles taut. Do you have any experience at all?"

"Two years on the reserve- the minimum for Seras. I can fire a gun."

He gave a curt nod.

"Good."

Thea as she felt mist hit her head. She whipped around to see Ezi with a spray can.

"What is that?"

"Fire retardant. You'd light up like dry brush with that hair!"

"Fair enough," Thea muttered with a chuckle. She stood still letting Ezi spray her down.

Kaleo pulled a thick hair tie from his pocket and passed it to Ezi who in turn wrestled Thea's braids into one ponytail to keep them out of her face.

"Can we hurry up on the pampering?" Ember griped.

"You're not the one being served to an army of Seras!" Ezi snapped. She turned Thea by the shoulders and dipped her thumbs in a can of black paste.