0019

Thea took cover behind a tree and scanned the dam. The Seras had built it hundreds of years ago, and in just minutes, it would be history. 

"Alright Firecracker, do you need another look at the blueprints?"

"Don't call me that! We aren't close enough for nicknames, Sera!" Ember snapped. "And NO- knock out the three brace points- it's not complicated."

Thea rolled her eyes and turned to Ezi for backup.

"I think it's a good nickname," Ez said, unpacking her sniper rifle to lay in the dirt and cover for Ember and the twins.

Hitoshi joined her, laying down beside her on his belly and elbows so they looked like siblings about to watch their favorite movie instead of blowing some Gard's brains out.

Thea looked around for something she could do to help until coming to the disheartening realization that she was useless. So, she sat against a tree to stay out of sight. She watched Ember and the twins bolt against the dry bank at the foot of the dam; their figures became almost invisible by the cover of night and mist. She heard a faint drilling sound and leaned over to watch for any suspects camp-side.

"They'll assume it's maintenance," Ez whispered.

"They will when the team top-side radios that in," Oshi replied.

Oshi's radio buzzed and he tossed it to Thea.

"It's probably your Grandmother."

Thea pressed the side button.

"This is Alethea."

"The extraction team is ready for infiltration and the demolitions team is at the Eastern wall. Our heat-vision tech is a little outdated but we've confirmed there are bodies in the ground-level cells. What's the ETA?"

"We're drilling the dam now."

"Hurry. We're vulnerable out here. Make for the eastern wall the second Ember is done."

"Yes, Ma'am."

The buzz of the radio went silent signaling Agatha had stopped listening.

Thea held out the radio, giving it a critical glance as if her Grandmother would sense it on the other side.

"Good job infiltrating the dam system, Thea. I'm glad you weren't blown to bits," she muttered to herself in her Grandmother's smokey voice.

Ezi chuckled.

"Used to being praised, are you?"

"More like worshiped," she replied, satisfied with the laugh it got.

Several minutes passed before Ember and the twins bolted back.

Ember held up the detonator.

"Are you sure it'll blow?" Thea asked.

They shot her a wicked look.

"Okay sorry," she said, raising her hands. "Let's go."

Ember turned to the twins passing off the detonator to one of them.

"Oscar, stay here and stay low."

The brothers exchanged worried glances.

"Can I stay with Oscar?" the other asked.

"Yeah, sure! Whatever. If it takes two of ya' to punch a button."

The boys laughed and clambered behind a large pine to hide before they were given the go-ahead by radio.