0020

The water was above their heads by the time they neared the doors to the facility which were wide open welcoming a rush of water.

Hitoshi dove beneath the surface disappearing with the current into the flickering lights.

Ezi dove next.

Thea grabbed Amber's arm and dove down swimming till the current swept them through the large doors dumping them into the upper passageway. She stood, clinging to the wall, disoriented by the lack of current to stand against. She looked around to discover that every door was open, even the elevator shaft creating a labyrinth of waterfalls cascading down into the lower levels where the prisoners must have been locked away.

"Whoa- the white-haired demon certainly thought this one through!" Ember announced.

"Of course, she did," Thea whispered, mostly to herself. She looked around to strategize their route.

Hitoshi and Ezi were already peering through the stairwells into the depths.

"This looks like the safest route!" Ezi called.

The stairs were slick with the swallow stream of lake water flowing over them as if they were rocks in a stream. Thea watched her footing closely, managing to step on the strips of yellow grip to keep from slipping. A strange sound- like ghostly moaning- was echoing up the stairwell.

Hitoshi tired of footwork and jumped on the railing, sliding down the winding staircase with increasing speed.

Several seconds later, they heard him crash into the water far below.

"It says this is the second level!" he yelled. "I can hear people!"

Thea's heart skipped a beat and she jumped on the railing, fighting for balance. She crashed into the chest-deep water and sprung up. She heard the strange sound more clearly now: people were screaming for help. She gawked up at the flickering number above the door. Sure enough: 2L. Second Level. Which meant the first level was already well underwater.

"People are drowning," she uttered. "We have to..."

Hitoshi gripped her shoulder with a strong hard and spoke with a tone that startled her.

"Alethea, there's nothing we can do for level one. We need to focus on getting to the drainage system so more people don't die."

She felt her throat tighten with tears. This was her fault- if she'd listened to Pa and Oshi, those people wouldn't be sucking water into their lungs as she stood there staring at the big bright 2L sign like an idiot. She pressed her palms to her eyes and groaned in frustration.

Ember slid past her crashing into the water and swam through the door into the passage of locked cells where people were crammed. They shot one of the digitizers and the cell door sprung open. People clambered out rushing for the door.

"Somebody help me!" They called. "There are more hallways!"

Ezi rushed to Hitoshi tearing the extra rounds from her pack and shoving them into his.

"Go with Ember," she ordered. "Thea and I will get to the drainage system."

The blood drained from Oshi's face and he locked eyes with his sister.

"Esmeralda, you'll..."

She cupped his face.

"We'll be okay, Oshi. I promise. Now go- save as many as you can."

She shoved her brother towards the door.

Thea grimaced upon seeing the horror painted on his face.