0015

The dining hall was empty when they arrived, and Pa was behind the counter in an apron singing to himself in a language Alethea didn't understand. He turned around and beamed at them.

"Good morning, ladies! Well rested, I see?"

Ezi groaned.

"What are you doing, Pa? It's five in the morning."

"I thought the Cook could use a morning off," he leaned across the counter, "and to be honest, I think I can make a better omelet than him. He obviously does not understand the importance of temperature."

Thea chuckled.

Ezi shook her head, amused.

"Pa, will you make me my favorite. Please? Two orders."

"Of course! Any allergies, Thea?"

"No. And I'll have whatever is easy to make."

Ezi glanced her up and down.

"Humble all of a sudden, are we?"

Thea shrugged.

"I suppose I'm trying not to live up to a Sera's reputation of a snob."

"You just used the word 'supposed'- might want to apply a little more effort."

Pa chuckled.

"Oh, leave her alone Esmeralda. She's new in town."

They settled down at a table and sat in relative silence for a while. Thea's stomach twisted whenever she glanced up to see Ezi staring into her coffee mug. She was lovely with her elegantly sculpted face and big brown eyes and short dark hair all tussled from being pushed back out of her face. She was lovely, and she'd kissed her on the cheek. It had left a fluttering feeling in her chest that refused to go away. 

Pa came over a few minutes later carrying their plates.

Thea bowed her head graciously.

"Thanks, Pa!" Ezi said.

Pa stopped and looked long and hard at Thea, then at Ezi, smiled, then walked back to the kitchen.

Thea smirked.

"A little odd, is he?"

Ezi watched her adopted father with fondness.

"More than a little."

Despite her growling stomach, Thea poked at her food for a few minutes- her mind preoccupied- while Ezi practically finished.

"How come you're built like a goddess when you won't eat?" Ezi asked.

Thea smirked.

"Oh, I don't know- genetic engineering, a paid dietitian, two hours of personal training in the morning."

"And you're worried about seeming snobby," Ez said with a chuckle.

Thea watched Ezi's hand as she brought the coffee cup to her lips and thought back to their exchange in the lab.

Ezi caught her staring.

Thea cocked her head a bit, noticing the color of Ezi's cheeks.

"Why are you blushing?"

"I'm not!"

"Your cheeks are red, which means blood is rushing to your face which is by definition- blushing."

Ezi chuckled.

"God- you're ruthless."

Thea scowled. She'd was just asking a question; she didn't see how that was ruthless. She turned to humor.