0025

Sunlight fell across Alethea's face from the thin gap in the curtains. She stirred awake and discovered her arm was captive in Alex's grip. She pushed a curl from her sister's face and studied the way her brow furrowed just slightly in her sleep. Then, she slipped free and pulled the blanket over Alex's shoulders before sneaking away to dress and brush her teeth.

She stood at the top of the stairs to listen to the voices rising from the porch.

"Morning."

She turned to see Oshi emerging from his room.

She smirked at his bedhead and slouched posture and reached up to ruffle his hair.

He shoved her hand away and cut her a bemused look before he hurried down the stairs in a clumsy morning stumble. 

She followed him closely, plotting a way to get a rise out of him.

"So... I was thinking," she started. "That maybe you could help make Ezi...." She scowled, unable to find the word for the feeling.

He turned and glared.

"Jealous?"

"Yes! That!"

He crossed his arms.

"You jerk! I'm trying to be your wingman you wanna' turn around and use me."

Thea shrugged.

"Worth a shot."

Oshi shook his head, failing to suppress a smile, then headed directly for the brewing pot of coffee in the kitchen.

Thea followed, glancing outside to see Pa and her Grandmother sitting at the table talking in low voices.

Hitoshi poured her a mug and passed it across the counter.

"Go on," he said.

She scowled.

"I don't want to interrupt."

He sipped his steaming coffee, his elegant eyes set like a scope on Agatha who was visible from his angle of the kitchen.

"My window was open upstairs; I overheard that she wants to speak with you."

Thea studied him fondly.

"You little spy," she muttered, then took her coffee and headed for the door. She stopped in the threshold and took a deep breath; why did she feel this heaviness in her chest when she faced her Grandmother? She closed her eyes for a count of three and saw memories sweep by like ghosts in the halls of her mind- young memories, of rocking chairs and lullabies.

She stepped outside and tried to put on a pleasant smile.

"Morning," she greeted, pulling out a seat between Pa and Agatha.

"Good Morning, Master Thea," Pa greeted warmly. "How'd the wine settle?"

She cast him a bemused glance.

"I can handle my wine fine, Pa. How do you think I managed to remain so Sera in recent years?"

He chuckled.

Agatha studied her coolly; she had no drink and sat empty handed.

"Would you like some coffee, Grandmother?"

"Dirt juice? No thanks."

She struggled to compose her expression as she felt a jolt of revolution for this statement.

Pa, on the other hand, openly sneered.

"Honestly, Agatha, you're most unlikable."

Agatha chuckled.