Chapter 1

*I'm sleepin' through the day, I'm trying not to fade. But every single night I've just been lying awake 'cause I, I can't get you off my mind. The moment that we met, I didn't know-*

"No....turn off phone!" I groaned as I woke up to my alarm. Yeah, it's a wierd song but I knda like it. Wait. I look at my phone and saw that it was 9:30. Skylar's gonna be here in half an hour! On Saturdays, Skylar and I usually exercise and take a route throughout Los Angeles and back. "Shoot! Shoot! Shoot! Shoot! Shoot! Shoot! Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!"

I quickly picked up a pair of shorts and a white and navy striped T-shirt from my dresser. I ran to the bathroom, took a shower, and brushed my teeth. My feet were wet, so when I ran out of the bathroom with tile flooring, I slipped and landed on my butt. "Smooth Jessica! Smooth!" I shot up again only to fall. This time, I slowly stood up and walked to my carpeted bedroom.

I grabbed my iPhone 5S that had a pink case with a long chain and put it over my shoulder. I glanced at my phone, 10:16. Great. Good thing is, she didn't come yet. I walked downstairs and saw Skylar sitting on my couch. "How long have you been here?" I asked, shocked. "Like...mmm.....20 minutes ago. Your mom let me in." "Ugh! I take so LONG!" "You're telling me?" "Let's just go," I laughed.

As we walked out the front door, Cole jumped on to me from behind and licked my face. "Oh, that's right! I forgot to feed you boy!" Cole happily barked like always. "Come on." After I poured him his dog food, I walked back over to Skylar. "You and your dog," she teased. "Hey, a dog is a man's best friend. Or woman in this case. But, I'm not a woman, I'm 14," I said. We started to walk out of the neighborhood. "Yeah yeah yeah you say that EVERY single TIME." "I say that cause it's been around since dinosaurs." "What are you talking about? Dinosaurs can't speak!" she giggled. "Yeah but how about the way they communicate?!" I started making a rawr noise. "So?!?!" she laughed. "That's how they communicate Sky! RAWR RAWR RAWR!!!!!!!! What do you think they're doing when they make those noises?" I laughed. "I don't know! If they did talk, how did it pass on to cavemen?" "Uhh duh? Some guy came along who spoke dinosaur-ish duh?" I laughed hysterically. "You-you and your -cra-crazy mind!" she said in between laughs. "And THAT my friend," I waved my finger in the air, "is why we are best friends. Ok that barely made any sense but you get what I mean!" I smiled. She laughed like crazy.

After she calmed down, we noticed we were in the middle of a basketball court in the park. "Oh shoot", I faced her. Sky's eyes suddenly grew wide and she used me like a human shield. "What?" I said. A ball hit me hard on the back of my head and I fell. "What was that for?" I yelled. "Well, sorry! But I saw the basketball coming and my consious was all like 'use Jess as a human shield. Do it! Do it! Do it!'" "Are you sure it didn't say 'dodge it, do it'?" I said back. "Why don't you ask the guy who threw it at you?" "He actually threw it at you!"

I felt dizzy and a little weak from the basketball. "Actually, it was an accident," a boy walked over to us. Before I could see who he was, I fell to the ground and everything was black.