Chapter 11

Roan's arm was slung over my shoulder. His physical strength was dwindling quickly now and I was using the rest of my strength to fight the urge of slipping back into my former self. I tried to hurry the both of us towards the planes that I could now barely see with my eyes. Twilight ran ahead of us, stopping every few seconds to wait for us to catch up.

"It's right there." I said, my voice airy yet excited.

Twilight suddenly stopped, looking back at us then stepping backwards. I looked up to see a figure on the platform just in front of the aircraft.

"You didn't think it would be so easy, would you?" Adain stepped down from the platform. He folded up both his sleeves once, not breaking eye contact with me. He stopped on the middle step, slowly breathing in. "It can be, though. You could change everything right now."

"I know." I whipped out my gun from its holster, aiming towards Adain. Roan slipped his arm from my shoulder and pulled his gun from his holster, not yet aiming it towards the General, though.

He smirked, stepping down a few more steps. "That will change things. Not for the better, though. You both know you're heavily outranked in this fight."

Another figure appeared to the side of Adain. They uncovered their face from their hood and mask. I pointed my gun towards them, moving my finger over the trigger. Roan quickly moved the gun so it pointed to the ground. I looked at him with a questioning and irritated look. His eyes warned me, and I looked back up to the person next to Adain. I didn't know how I couldn't see it before. He wasn't afraid to be alone with them when we split. Their features matched his so well. It was her; that was Ravenna.

I looked back to the General when I heard him chuckle. "What a little family reunion we have here. The Gasmeican bloodline. The brother-sister duo of the Shier family." More Gasmeicans filtered into the area. "Mariona, you know I wouldn't want to hurt you." He outstretched his hand, "Come with us, please."

I could feel the temptation starting to boil over but I continued to push it back. I shook my head, "I don't even know who you are." I sneered.

"Right. Well, I wanted this to be painless, but since you won't comply." The audible click of the soldiers around us raising their guns came to my ear. I looked around, seeing them all stare into me as if I was their prey. Adain turned, and I heard him say to Ravenna, "Get rid of the other one."

Ravenna's face dropped, "No, I-."

"Do it quickly or I will do it myself." He walked from her.

Ravenna took a quick glance to the ground, then opened her bow towards Roan.

Roan took a step forward, calling out, "Ravenna!"

I saw her take a breath in, then out as her mouth quivered. She took one last breath in before closing her eyes. She opened them then pressed her brows as if something had turned inside of her.

I knew Roan wouldn't be able to fight her. I pulled the sword from my back and flicked it on. Ravenna fired the bow towards Roan. I jumped in front of him, deflecting the arrow with my sword. The soldiers started to fire their stun weapons.

I deflected the shots coming towards us. Half of them fell by Roan's hand as I pushed back Ravenna. She pressed an object on her ear, looking down then looking back at me before she turned and ran the direction the General did. Roan turned his head and yelled to me through the bullets, "Find Adain! Don't let him take off in those ships!" I nodded, following Ravenna's steps.

I ran past the light bridge onto another light bridge. Ravenna wasn't on this bridge, she wasn't anywhere I could see. Adain was walking at a brisk pace towards the ships with two guards accompanying him by his sides with a fast pace. I shot one down in their back. The other turned and raised their gun towards me. I shot them down as well before they could fire at me. Adain turned around, rather relaxed in the given situation.