Prologue

"Any further questions regarding your objective?"

"No, Commander."

It was past the hour where soldiers wandered the halls. The room was dark like the rest of the facility. It was known that only the most secretive missions were given out at these hours. No soul could listen in, and the soldiers would immediately depart after. No one was to know of these missions until after they had been achieved. Not even the General had knowledge of such things.

"Good. Now, you are to fly to Banton Prime. Do not let them find you there. Do not let anyone or anything discover your presence." Commander Lesperance placed her forehead into her palm. "I never thought it would come to this."

The soldier stood stiff in front of the Commander. No mission like this one had ever been given out. Something no other person knew besides the two of them and a few distant people had been shared as intel for the mission.

"I won't let you down, I promise."

She looked up from her palm. The room was so dark that her eyes were the most visible thing. Sighing, she stated, "I know you won't. That's why you were the only person I considered sending. And, please, make the mission quick. I'm afraid of what he could do to her. And, if she is conscious, do not let her know anything I told you, understand?"

"Yes, Commander."

Commander Lesperance gave the soldier a small nod. "Good luck, Roan."

...

"Is there a reason I am the only one receiving this augmentation?"

She was alone with the General. The room was dark, as always, and cold. The General stood in front of her, examining her papers then her body. He gripped the side of her jaw, slightly twisting her neck causing her joint to pop. She gave him an agitated side-eye as his hand slipped from her face.

Ravenna wasn't a person that would blindly follow orders from her higher powers. She knew she could easily take over the General, but the relationship between the two was alpha and beta. She was terrified of the General. That's what he had done best, anyways. He had instilled the fear, not of a soldier's personal death, but the torture of the ones they held close to them. Ravenna knew of only one that she had to protect. She had sworn to her parents she would protect them, and her brother had sworn he would do the same. But, they didn't get much of a chance to protect each other.

Not all of the Gasmeicans were soulless droids that thirsted blood only due to their coding. Most of them still had the minds of humans, just like they had been before. The General kept this in mind; he wanted them to be afraid. He wanted them to be terrified of what he could do. That's why they would follow him. Also, in consideration of his programming their loyalty to him.

"I have a few reasons why." The General responded. "But remember something." He started. Ravenna looked to him in consideration. The General's voice deepened, becoming almost angry, "What did I tell you about asking questions?" Ravenna gulped, her eyes going from his to the floor. "You don't want me to take away everything from you, do you?" He leaned in close to her face.

Ravenna could feel the disgusting air streaming from his nose brush onto the side of her cheek. She wanted to kill him, right then. But the fear still masked every ounce of her spirit. But this is what the General wanted. He craved for them to feel emotion, to turn against themselves, and Ravenna already had.

"If you care to know, and I'm guessing you do." He stepped behind her chair where she sat. "It will allow you to transfer electricity. You can essentially revive people with it, hopefully, if it works." He placed his fingers on either side of the back of her neck. He drew a few marks on her skin with his instrument.

"Will it kill me?" Ravenna spoke quietly as he drew more onto her skin.

"It is possible." The General lifted his instrument, stepping back in front of her. "But that shouldn't concern either of us, right?" Ravenna flicked her eyes into his, her head still pointing towards the floor. "Right?" The General asked, this time aggressively.

"Yes." She said quickly. Ravenna nodded her head.

He let a small, nasty smile cross his face. "I'm glad you know. Stay here, I'll be back soon." The General exited the room.

Ravenna folded her hands together, staring at them. She let go of her breath that she felt like she was holding the entire time he was in the room. Ravenna knew the safety of her brother depended on her compliance. The General didn't care about either of them, but he knew their bond was a weapon he could use. It was as if he was expanding their bond to restore a bond he couldn't get back, a bond he broke, and a bond he never had.