Chapter 1

I walked quietly to my small shack. I have been living in the streets for as long as I could remember. I have lived only by my small job at the Laundromat, and that’s helped me to get clean clothes. Nobody else would hire. I know why though. I am pretty much a ‘hobo’ and I don’t talk to anyone. I almost forgot! My name’s Ella, well I kind of made that up, I don’t really have a last name because I was abandoned at age five, I think. I call myself Ella Streets.

I slowly stepped inside my house and I gasped. None of any of my belongings were there except one pair of clothes and my piggy bank. There was something that wasn’t mine, or at least I didn’t think so. I think about a lot of things don’t I?

I looks closely at what was on the floor. It was a small playing card. It was beautiful, the edges were lined in gold. At the top of the card it said Unicorn. There was a picture of a regal unicorn by a river on the card. At the bottom it said Mystery. Mystery, that word could describe me. Nobody knows anything about me, I don’t talk, and I hide my emotions.

I stared at the magnificent card of many hues. I suddenly had the thought of turning the card over. I saw a small paragraph of words. Luckily I had been able to go to school due to a community service project so I could read.

Dear Finder,

The Card has chosen you,

To be the one who,

Defeats all darkness and evil.

Say the words I summon thee,

To let the card come to be,

An amazing creature of Mystery.

When it is time,

You must find, the owners of nine cards matching thee.

Good luck young hero.

Cadmus, Wizard of the Myths

I knew that the paragraph was probably a joke, but it was so compelling. If it was real it would be amazing. I mean an actual wizard? Magic cards? I decided to say I summon thee? I mean it couldn’t hurt to try.

“I summon thee unicorn.” I stated. I sighed, it didn’t work. I looked back down at the card, it was glowing. Wait. Glowing? Suddenly there was a flash of bright light and I was momentarily blinded. When I was able to see a magnificent unicorn was standing in front of me. No joke, a real, live, unicorn.

“Hello chosen one. I hate to rush this, but please get on my back.” The unicorn said. I had to admit I was pretty surprised when the UNICORN talked. It was a girl, probably older judging by her voice. I hesitantly got on her back. What else was I supposed to do, get stabbed  by her sharp horn? I made sure to grab the card first though. I noticed it was eerily blank.

The unicorn’s horn began to be surrounded by light yellow sparks of light. We were suddenly transported in front of a giant mansion.  My jaw dropped in awe. The mansion was a light blue with beautiful white curtains.

“This is your house now, it takes care of itself, so you don’t have to worry about a thing.” The unicorn happily said. “My house? Do I have to pay for it?” I asked worriedly, and I was surprised at how easily I talked. “No. There are also supplies inside the house. I am going back to the card, please don’t summon me until an hour passes.” Then the unicorn disappeared into the card, I didn’t even get her name!

I slowly walked up the front steps leading into the mansion. I still wasn’t sure if this was a dream or not, but I hoped it lasted.