ε | five

"OH DEAR, you must be the new neànis that Tyhi told me about," a lady in a pink gown said. She had auburn hair and had a sprinkle of freckles across her collarbone. She paused and then whispered into my ears, "Is Lady Aphrodite also gone tonight?"

I didn't know if Aphrodite would be back or not, so I nodded. "Lord Hephaestus has also left so now we have the mansion all to ourselves. Isn't that wonderful?"

I gave her an awkward smile. I wanted to ask who were the 'ourselves' but I didn't know how. "Since Lord and Lady were to have supper in the banquet hall, I only cooked food for us. We will be having a larger portion than usual today," she winked. Her chirpy voice and the motherly features on her face told me it was fine to let down my guard a little. She was harmless.

"Are you hungry, dear?" she asked and I nodded again, too eagerly this time. She chuckled and beckoned me to two benches behind the kitchen. They were placed near the fireplace, where a black fire iron leaned on the wall next to a pair of tongs and bellows hung on a nail.

"I will call the others. They've been wanting to meet you after Tyhi couldn't shut up about you," she said and a bad feeling swirled in the pit of my stomach. I took a place on the bench and stared at the crackling fire, dancing to the off-key groan of my stomach. The fire and the warmth reminded me of my mother's hometown Jhilan. I hadn't visited since my mother passed away but I always felt at home there. The kindest people and their adorable kids always made me feel like I belonged.

Messy footsteps sounded from behind me and I braced myself. "You must be the new neànis. Nice to meet you," a man in a blue frock coat said, taking my pale hands and placing a kiss on my knuckles. I shivered. "I am Viquen. I take care of the gardens and other... issues."

I bowed my head with a smile. Pushing him away, a girl, not older than 14, came to my side. "You are beautiful," she said and exchanged a glance with Tyhi who had slipped into the room silently. "I am Blissia. I design clothes for Lady Aphrodite," she said. My eyes widened.

I pointed to the dress and signaled today and her. She nodded, a proud smile on her face. "Yes, I designed the dress that she wore today."

I wanted to tell her that the dress was a piece of art and praise her enough. So, I hugged her to show my appreciation and she pulled away, shocked. I wondered if I had done something wrong.

A few seconds later, a teary smile broke out on her face. "No one ever appreciates me for the work I do. This means a lot," Blissia replied. I smiled.

Hyacinth came around the two and slung her arm over their shoulders. "These two are my children. No one makes a garden look beautiful like my son does and I begged him to join Lady Demeter's school. Stubborn boy didn't want to leave us and now he is stuck in this mansion. Blissia has a gift and once she is older, she will join Lady Hecate's school of magic and craft."

The mention of schools lifted my curiosity. All of them were immortals, from Gods to helpers. But there seemed to be a certain system of hierarchy governed by power. I wanted to know more but the only person who can quench my thirst for answers was Aphrodite. And she seemed less likely to spend time with me, considering her affair.

"There is Zoyn, who assists Lord Hephaestus with projects. He is a sweet lad, the son of Juid from the Hermes mansion. He is always busy and we rarely see him. Even tonight, he has gone with the Lord on an emergency trip. Then there is Helios, who is not a resident of the mansion. He is a close apprentice of the Lord. He visits now and then, when he is not too haughty to talk to us," Hyacinth said. Blissia snickered. "Seat yourselves. I'll bring your meal."

Blissia followed her mother to help her out and I wondered if I should too. But before that Tyhi came to my side and sat beside me. Viquen sat on the bench across us and he stretched and cracked his knuckles.