ζ | six

I WOKE UP in pain. My feet burned.

I hastily pushed away the covers and cradled my feet in my palms. In the dim light from the fire, I could see red blisters on the sides of each of them. When I felt it under my fingers, the skin pricked with pain, running deep into my soles. Those damned slippers!

If I were back home, I would've called up Jass and asked her what to do. She was my personal doctor and she never minded even when I called her up in the middle of the night, moaning from leg pain after hours of standing in the salon.

I didn't know how to treat the red splotches on my skin but I knew I couldn't walk the next day if I didn't.

I decided to find some cool water and a cloth to help the stinging. But when I pressed my feet on the floor, I hissed, almost slipping from pain. What kind of wound was this and why was it hurting ten times more than it has to? I heard sheets ruffling from across and my eyes shot up to meet Tyhi's, which was a glassy orange from the light of the fire.

"What's the matter?" he asked and I quickly hid my feet under the covers. But his eyes followed my rushed movement. He stared at me before silently pushing the covers aside. I let him because I realised this was the only way I could be treated.

His lips pursed into a thin line after noticing the ugly redness on my skin. "Looks like a leather infection," he said, sparing a glance at my discarded slippers. "Come on, luckily I've had practice treating these wounds."

Tyhi gripped my hands gently and pulled me out of bed. I squeezed his palm tighter when the floor made contact with the blisters and he snaked an arm around my waist to keep me from falling. Tyhi's hair was mildly tousled, the brown of his hair turning into the colour of dark chocolate. He was very warm and smelled of fire and bread, almost like toasted marshmallows that Ivan loved. Tyhi reminded me of home and I knew that remaining close to him would only influence me to let my guard down.

I was guided out of the sleeping quarters and into the kitchen. He seated me on one of the dining benches. "Hold on, I will return soon," he said and scurried behind the counters before I could nod.

He returned, carrying a circular plate of an ivory white paste. I opened my mouth to ask him about it and then shut my mouth quickly. Tyhi noticed it.

I reached out for the plate but he held it out of my grasp. "Put out your feet."

I stared at him and when he sent me an exasperated look, I lifted the hem of my dress and balanced my heel at the edge of the bench. The way he treated my bruised feet as something fragile, so delicate, made me think of Ivan. My best friend used to take care of me whenever I caught the flu, from pressing hot water bags on my shoulders and neck, picking up all the snot-soaked tissues, preparing soup and making sure I had fluid in my body. He did it all.

My heart ached.

Tyhi lathered the paste with a wooden strip carefully, holding my feet tightly whenever I squirmed in pain. He glanced at me once in a while and sometimes I thought I saw a smile peek in and then disappear. I watched him tear out a long piece of cotton and wind it around my feet. "It might sting a lot now but it will be replaced by a cold soothing soon," he said, standing up.

He left to put away the plate and then came back to join me on the bench. I sent him a grateful smile. "You do not have to pretend around me," he said.

My smile crashed.

"I am aware that you can speak. I heard you when I crossed Lady Aphrodite's quarters earlier this morning," he stated.

I wanted to run. The calmness in his voice sent me to an edge.

"I am afraid I don't understand why you pretend to be mute. Are you a spy?"