ρ | seventeen

APHRODITE WAS INDIFFERENT. I made nervous semi-circles with my feet as I stood at the foot of her bed, waiting for the Goddess to initiate conversation after she had ordered me in. She stood with her back towards me, her eyes trained on the dotted land. A soft stream of golden sunlight filtered in, making her skin glow. Her hair was ironed straight.

I was peeved that Aphrodite hadn't allowed me time to respond to or linger on Tyhi's confession. After spending time with him today, learning about a piece of his life and watching his vulnerable side, the bold line I had drawn against my feelings began to blur. His sudden confession took my breath away, washing away that line like it was drawn with chalk. My thoughts were an indecisive mess and if I discovered that sliver of confidence, I would be able to tell him how I feel. I would make it as real as possible.

Aphrodite whirled around and fixed her gaze on me. I pushed away my thoughts.

"It was insensitive of me to abandon you," she said.

"That's it?" I asked without a second thought and bit my tongue with regret. Aphrodite glowered at me and I stepped back, hitting the bed.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that – um, it's a human thing?" I stuttered.

"I can make your existence an invisible void if I can. It is your genuine, unaltered friendship that has kept you alive, in spite of all your unnecessary talk and doings. You carried Nerites back to Poseidon," she said, crossing her arms on her chest. She was wearing a loose silky teal robe, tied carelessly around her waist, curtaining her wheatish brown skin. The swell of her breasts peeked through.

"Yes, I didn't have the heart to leave him alone there, helpless and without a voice. You didn't exactly give me a list of instructions to follow," I said with a shrill edge to my voice.

"I might have been angered with what you did but Poseidon's visit gave me the closure I needed. I realized I had done something heartless in the heat of the moment. He explained to me that Nerites hadn't done anything other than staying loyal to his love and refusing my seduction. He was one among the few who understood the true value of love and I'd turned him into a shellfish. I was foolish and controlled by the need to save my pride."

"But – what happened to Nerites?"

"Such a transformation can only be fueled by a peak emotion. I couldn't fully reverse his transformation so I gifted him with the power of metamorphosis. It is upto him to use his gift and transform himself back to his manly form. He can switch between his forms as he wishes to," Aphrodite explained. I was glad that Nerites could live his life normally again.

"To thank you for helping me right the wrong I've done, I wanted to reward you."

My ears perked up. Aphrodite suppressed a smile. "I'll allow you to accompany me to my school tomorrow. You can have a look around. Would you like that or do you want something else?"

"I would love that," I said, finding it impossible to contain my excitement.

"I thought it would. You have a very curious mind and impressive honesty. Both could end you in trouble. Be careful," Aphrodite warned. She moved around to the table near her canvas and picked up a roll of dull yellow paper. It was filled with black lettering.

"Before that, I need you to deliver this message to Ares. You should know the weight of the errand because it isn't something you can take lightly. Deliver this in secret. I've written clearly why I couldn't meet him today. But, if he asks again, explain to him about my obligations with my husband. Persuade him to pay a visit to our boy Eros as well."