ι | nine

SURPRISINGLY, I WAS HAVING FUN.

Blissia was tired from stitching another masterpiece of a dress (that she refused to reveal until it was complete) and her fingers were sore and red. I had caught her wincing when she reached for the water jug and silently took her hands to inspect her fingers. I was almost tempted to take her to Tyhi and ask him to do his magic on her but I decided against it. He was trying to keep it a secret and respecting it was the right choice.

I put a metal vessel over the fire and waited for the water to warm up a little. After ignoring Blissia's questions for a few minutes, she understood I wasn't going to explain (I couldn't). I transferred the pot of water into a small bowl and soaked her fingers in. She gasped at it but when I massaged them slowly, she relaxed.

I massaged her fingers, following the routine my grandfather had to do for his arthritis. The hot water must have be incredibly soothing because Blissia closed her eyes in comfort. I could feel the stress and tension leave from her fingers.

After I was done with waving off Blissia's gratitude, I joined Hyacinth to spy over the cooking process. She tried to shoo me off but I stayed rooted to my place, trying to offer assistance in any way I can (which I didn't end up doing). Hyacinth rinsed the grape leaves, removed the stems and blanched them in hot boiling water. She scooped them out with a slotted spoon and set them aside to cool completely.

Meanwhile, she chopped the three-quarters of the onions we had bought, not even tearing up once while my eyes were pricking with tears. She sautéed them until I smiled satisfactorily at the yummy smell, then added minced meat, rice, water and some lemon juice to the mixture. She let it simmer for a few minutes and went to work on the leaves.

She picked out the torn ones from the good ones. Once in a while, Hyacinth would see me watching with wide eyes and send me a warm smile. What impressed me the most was how effortless her cooking was. That needed skill and practice.

Hyacinth added in some herbs I didn't know the name of and stirred the mixture after adding salt, pepper and some other powder that smelled delicious. She pulled out a large pot and I helped her carry it (the only thing I did) to the fire. I watched her place the torn leaves in the bottom. She stuffed the good ones with the filling, rolled them in a certain way and stacked the bundles inside the pot. I sneaked a torn leaf and mirrored her actions.

"Mae!"

I dropped the leaf and it slapped on the ground, unfolded. Dammit.

"Mae! How did Mother let you stay long in the kitchen?" Blissia said, circling my waist with her arm.

"That is because she doesn't talk and nettle me like you do," Hyacinth said and she looked at me, "No offense dear."

Blissia made a face at her mother's remark but was quick to replace it with a huge smile. "Mother, Mae got rid of the soreness in my fingers. She is the sweetest."

Hyacinth smiled. "I could say when I first met her."

Blissia grinned and turned towards me. "Vequin's fingers are dirty but he complained of too much pain. I bragged about how my new friend," she squeezed my fingers, "helped me and he is so full of envy. Who doesn't love a good massage?"

My eyes narrowed. I tried to signal that I can help him as well. "I brought up the idea. But," she stood up on her tip-toes to whisper in my ear, "I think Tyhi is against it. He didn't appear very supportive."

What does Tyhi got to do with this? Blissia was connecting trivial things in favour of her theory about Tyhi having feelings for me. I couldn't entirely disagree with her because I could feel something brewing between Tyhi and me as well. But, I didn't know what it was. It could be because our minds think alike, or that we hold each other's secrets as hostages or simply because there is a potential friendship kindling between us. Plus, it had been only a day. It was too soon to assume anything, keeping in mind that Tyhi's kindness is his nature.