ξ | fourteen

"I TRIED TO STOP HER. I'm so sorry I failed," I sobbed, handing the crab to Poseidon. "I am sorry."

It must have been an hour since Aphrodite abandoned me in an unfamiliar place. After the shocking encounter with her horrifying side, it took a long time for me to gather myself together. I was confused.

I managed to end up in Poseidon's mansion after much thought because my heart ached for him and I thought he deserved to know. I couldn't leave Nerites without a voice to explain his situation. So I broke my pretense of a mute and spilled out everything to Poseidon, sobbing and dabbing my eyes at the tragedy.

When I'd looked at the crab, I felt Nerites screaming inside his shelled wall without a way to have his feelings understood. My heart broke for the handsome man who had greeted us with the happiest smile.

Poseidon was devastated after hearing the news of his lover turned into a shellfish. He took Nerites in his hands and petted him, crying.

"I thought she couldn't do it. I thought she didn't have the power to do that," I whispered.

"Aphrodite is the Goddess of Beauty. She can alter the appearance of anyone as per her wishes. Though, this kind of transformation takes great strength and energy," Poseidon explained. "And, I did not expect this from her. I thought her days of recklessness were over. She promised me."

"Lady Aphrodite wasn't aware of um, yours and Nerites relationship. Nerites told me of it while you and Lady Aphrodite were here, chatting over wine. I never saw this coming," I said.

"Thank you for bringing him to me. I will take him to Aphrodite and ask her to reverse her magic. You've done me a favour. Would you like something in return?" Poseidon asked.

"Thank you, Lord Poseidon. But can I ask you a question instead of a favour?" I asked, wiping my tears.

"Yes, child. What is it?"

"Did Lord Ares and Nerites share a bad history?"

Poseidon thought for a while. "No, I don't recall anything of that sort. But, I have to agree that he and I are in a year-long disagreement about something. Why do you ask?"

Ares was getting back on Poseidon. He knew about his affair with Nerites and wanted to use that to his advantage. He used Aphrodite to do his bidding. It all fell into place now.

"No reason, Lord," I said. "Also, you don't have to worry about your secret. May I leave now?"

"You may. Thank you once again for your kindness, child. I hope Aphrodite treats you right because you seem like a sweet girl," Poseidon smiled through his tears and waved me off. I gave a generous curtsy and left the mansion.

I walked aimlessly along the path rolled out in front of me, caught up in my thoughts. I couldn't stop crying. There were so many things that had gone wrong today and I could have stopped it if I hadn't fallen asleep. I could have made a difference. I felt like an utter failure.

My body trembled with fear whenever I thought of Aphrodite in her mask of cruel impulsiveness. How could she?

The sky turned dark and the painful grey clouds followed me, sighing at how pathetic I was but still ushering me to keep walking.

I stumbled over a stone and sank to the ground, scraping my elbows. The clouds shook their heads at me with disappointment.

"Mae!" A voice came and I looked up through my pink, puffy eyes. Tyhi rushed towards me. "Oh, Mae."

He didn't think for a second before scooping me up like I was a pile of feathery cotton. I bled tears. "I was so worried when I didn't see you arrive with Lady Aphrodite. She looked at me and screamed at me to bring you back."