2.9: Embrace

"Back to the club for a drink?" Dom had chuckled as we left the mangled mess of a building, "Pick up where we left off

"Back to the club for a drink?" Dom had chuckled as we left the mangled mess of a building, "Pick up where we left off."

Part of me wanted to go with him and blow off the steam that had been collecting over the past few days, but the other part of me couldn't bear to forget about Thana and the guilt that I felt.

I couldn't help but feel if I'd stayed with Dom that night I would've been within walking distance of her; leaving the main floor and entering the arms of Violet could have been my downfall.

"I just want to go back to the safe house, Dom," I had forced myself to tell him, an answer he seemed to take well. He nodded briefly before pulling his arm around my shoulder and beginning to walk me in the direction of the wall. His fingers gripped into my flesh roughly, forcing my frame into his side as we moved, what I presumed was a kind gesture that kept me away from the passing danger.

"It's not really safe when everyone knows about it, Viviana," He had said through a smile.

"No one has passed through it in all the time I've been here - I'm going to keep calling it a safe house," I pointed out, knowing that I'd spent hours resting there without being disturbed on any of the occasions. I was a light sleeper, waking up at the slightest of noise, and anyone in the area would have woken me up in seconds. The only real noise I'd heard over the past days was the sound of the tunnel door opening, and closing ten minutes later; the noise of my hope diminishing each day.

"I'll accompany you then, I'd hate to see you survive so long for it to end here," He murmured, instantly settling my nerves for walking alone. Going from Ruby to the safe house wouldn't have been an issue for me, but the journey was now doubled having gone with Dom. It only felt right to accept his offer.

We'd walked in silence for half of our journey across the zone with Dom shifting his eyes in every dark alleyway and around corners. Considering the time, the city was quiet and the street lamps dim, creating many shadows to lurk and travel in. I preferred the light, but Dom refused to let me be seen by anyone that might scurry past us.

"I'm sure she's fine Viviana," Dom had whispered as he walked in front of me, sensing the reason for me to ignore him. He hadn't exactly struck a nerve in the office, but there was a nagging feeling left behind from what he'd said. The only reason I was here was to find Thana and there wasn't a single piece of evidence I could collect. Dom had given me the only lead I'd had throughout the searching, but it had only led to more questions.

"Then where is she?" I huffed, clawing into my jacket to hug it tighter. I'd only pulled on a leather jacket before I had embarked into the Eastern Zone, completely underestimating the coldness that winter nights bring. Even marching in this air brings little comfort to my skin, and I couldn't bring this issue up with Dom for something to talk about because vampires don't feel the cold - they just dress for style. The more I was left to think about Thana the more I imagined her clawed up or torn apart, both of which would be my fault, "How do you know she hasn't been killed and hidden?"