2.11: Relativity

Violet

Violet

"Meow!"

I had jumped at the sound, my head snapping to meet the eyes of a black cat sitting a few steps down the park pathway, just under the willow tree that was in a battle with the snow topping its branches; even a feeble breeze threatening to cause a snap.

The cat sat staring at me, looking as though it wished for, or at least expected a conversation from me. I stayed still for a few moments and let the creature size me up in its own time. I didn't wish for it to leave me here alone. I gently reached out my hand and allowed the little thing to approach me, at which point they'd sniffed me once before creeping back to their original position.

I release some air from my lungs, watching what comes out appear in the air. The park was quiet, the early morning light making many of my fellow kind disappear into the darkness, waiting for their next chance to dance in the moonlight.

Being nestled just on the boundary of Ruby meant it was the perfect place to hide from prying eyes and escort your nightly entertainment to a secluded, yet enchanted place. One of us had kindly strung lights between the trees, perfectly arranged to illuminate the now withering flowers. That didn't make the area any more inviting though; the fresh splatter of red on the snow behind me was a reminder enough of that.

"Do you have something to tell me?" I murmured to the small creature, who'd taken a few steps towards me. The cat didn't do much to respond, just raised its head. I shrugged my shoulders and began to walk past slowly.

"Meow!" A soft mewling causes me to turn back, only to be met with an empty space where it had been sitting. I can't help but frown. I took a deep breath and decided to forget my disappointment, continuing on my way, boots crunching into the fresh snow roughly.

I moved to the exit gate but something stopped me in my tracks; a colder breeze in the air that was impossibly wrong. I stiffened and turned back to look at the cat, back once again, perched delicately on the wall beside the gate. Something moved in my stomach as though I knew this was bad. As though it could only be confirmation of something wrong.

I took the cat in once again. It was a little scraggly, perhaps less fed than it ought to be. I pursed my lips tightly and offered my hand out once again.

"My sister loves cats," I say calmly, letting them walk almost too elegantly up my arm, "She would treat you well little one, would you like to meet her?" A grumpy sound follows, which I allowed myself to take as confirmation, as they don't budge from my shoulder they'd gripped to when I move on.

My destination was the small building that stood tall beside the park; despite its overwhelming height, it seemed long forgotten. From what I remember, it was an upcoming restaurant that had reservations completely booked up for months; not that it mattered when the war finally came around.