Chapter 14: Inner Demons

"Hmmmmm..." Luz said, scratching her chin.

"What's up?" King asked, seeing Luz holding up a dress and a suit.

"Gus and Willow said I should look nice for this prom thing. Not sure what to wear." Luz said. "Can't really show up in both in this world."

"Oh, yeah! You tried to sneak into Grom Night one time!" King laughed. "You wore a tuxedo with a tutu!"

"Hey, I looked great." Luz laughed. "Then I found out what Grom was."

"Yeah...your mom probably should've warned you." King laughed.

"Yeah, she probably should've." Luz said, before focusing back on choosing. "I mean, I guess a suit would be nice. I'll try a dress another time!"

"So, how long is this Prom thing?" King asked, crawling onto Luz's shoulder.

Luz laughed. "Not that long, I don't think. It's just dancing and having fun."

"Wish I could come!" King smiled. "I need to judge your friends."

"King, one day, you're gonna seem them as an aunt and uncle." Luz laughed.

"NEVER!" King exclaimed.

Luz just smiled, rolling her eyes playfully as she kissed his forehead and then set him down. "The night's tomorrow, so I better make sure nothing-" She then went silent, almost deathly silent. "Nope. Not gonna say it."

"Say what?"

"Say 'I better make sure nothing goes wrong', because that guarantees no matter how hard I check, something WILL go wrong! Like, I dunno! The end of the world!" Luz exclaimed. "Something like that! I've been fighting monsters that I'm surprised they haven't run out."

"Hmmmm, what are the monsters that aren't out yet?"

"Ummm, Stoneheart, Owl Beast, and Grom." Luz said. "Oh, and Garlog."

"Who?"

"That furry cyclops monster! Remember?" Luz asked. "They seemed all small and cute before turning into a terrifying monster?"

"Oh, him- Nope. Don't remember." He then blinked. "You don't think Grom's gonna show up, do you...? At this Prom?"

"Why would he care about this kind of thing?"

"Ummm, Prom is just this world's Grom Night?" King asked.

Luz blinked before gulping. "Holy smokes, you're right."

She then grabbed her staff. "I better do a patrol. Just in case."

King nodded. "Be careful out there, Mom."

Luz tried not to squeal, her heart melting. "I will, King." She kissed his forehead before transforming and then flying off.

She traveled through the city for a while, looking from top to bottom for Grom or any kind of monster. But she didn't see anything...yet at least.

Eventually, she landed in the park, looking around and rather thankful no one was there.

"If I were some kind of shapeshifting monster of death and destruction, where would I hide?" Luz asked herself.

She then sighed after a while and sat down on a bench, looking at her reflection in the lake to think.

Luz smiled a little underneath her mask. She then began to think about her mother, and how proud she would be of her.

She then remembered something. Her and her mother would often speak Spanish, but not usually. It was only their second language after all. But her mother wanted her to at least know it."