Chapter 13

Vanessa P.O.V.

I’ve seen neither Alex nor Nathan for the last four days. And still I couldn’t choose someone. I loved Alex so much, since two years. He was so sweet, sensitive, just the perfect boyfriend. Nathan, on the other hand, was so nice, hot, and animal. The time we spent together was different to the time I spent with Alex. But not as I didn’t enjoy spending time with Alex too. Because I really did. Hell, why was it so heavy for picking someone out of them? I think I’ll have to write their names onto pieces of paper and pick one out of a bowl, where I mixed them at first.

I spent a lot of time the last days with my girls. Today it was 17th of December. Not much time was left for Christmas. I still didn’t get any Christmas gift for Alex. Or Nathan. I had to give him a gift as well. That’s why I called Ashley to go shopping today. She maybe could help me. 

We met at one of our favourite shops. 

“Hey, Vanny.”

“Hi, Ash. How are you?” 

“Good, thanks. And you?” While asking that we hugged.

“Well. Not pretty good actually.”

“Wanna talk about?”

“Actually, that’s why I called you. For shopping AND talking.”

“I hope I can help you, dear.”

I told her what happened with Nathan that noon after she came over to show me the picture of Nathan with this girl. She was a little bit surprised because of the fact that the girl on the picture was Nathan’s cousin, but accepted it at last. It still did seem to her like there was something between them. Changing the subject I asked her whom I should choose she thought a while.

“I’m sorry for telling you but that’s something you can choose only. No one can help you with that. But with whom do you feel more comfortable, do you have more fun with, or does your heart beat more?”

When thinking about those things I still couldn’t answer whom to choose, because I enjoyed the time with both. I had so much fun with Alex, with Nathan it was more emotional. More heart beat? Definitely with Nathan. But I didn’t know if it’s because I have just met him. When Alex and I first dated it was more emotional as well. But then I had to think about that night spending in his bath tub. That was quite emotional either.

“You know what? I think we should pick out a gift for Nathan and Alex now and not worrying about that for so long. What do you think? Can you give me a hint what should I buy them?'”

Ashley didn’t know it. She had no idea what I could buy them. And neither did me. I hoped that she could know something.  

I found something for Nathan pretty fast. We went into this clothing shop to their men department. We just arrived at the shelf with their caps. Nathan loved caps. I knew that long before we met. He always wore one in interviews or on stage. I found this great one, it was white and it had dots over and over in blue and at the front there were the characters of Ice Age printed, including Sid, the Sloth. I thought that he would like that very much. After all he definitely is Sid the Sloth in person. Once I saw it I took it and Ashley thought that Nathan would love it. She knew him nearly the same like I did of papers and news. So she knew what she was talking about when saying that Nathan would love this cap.

But I couldn’t find something for Alex. I mean, I could have bought him some gift cards for clothes, but that was a little unimaginative. Ash and I were walking through the shops, hoping the perfect gift to find.

When walking by the jewellery store we glanced through the window. I also watched the stuff for men, hoping there would be something I could buy for Alex. And suddenly I found the perfect gift. This watch over there was the one for Alex. It looked so classy but wasn’t that expensive. It had a brown leather band, was out of steel, I guessed, and just looked great. Ashley and I went into the shop and when the lady of the store came I told her that I was interested in the watch of the window. She took it out and I touched it and it was so beautiful. I looked over to Ashley and asked her,

“What do you think? Is that the gift for him, or not? It looks just great.”

“I think so too, Vanny. It is perfect for him.”

“Great. I take it.” The lady grabbed it and asked,

“Do you want to engrave it, because it’s a gift I heard?” I thought of that. Should I engrave it? And what?

“How many does that cost?” I asked.

“Nothing. It’s a service of us.” Well, then.

“Yes. Then I want to engrave it.”

“What do you want to engrave?” I thought of that. I thought of the date we met first. On 13th of May 2009.

“Please engrave a date, it’s the 13th of May 2009. And is it possible to right something down it as well?”

“Sure.”

“Then I also want to engrave ‘Forever together’” Though I didn’t know if this was really the truth I wanted to engrave these words. Ashley glanced over and whispered into my ear,

“So you have chosen for Alex, huh?”

“Not yet. But I said it spontaneously and thought that would be the perfect words. If I will choose Nathan I think that Alex doesn’t want to see me anymore so then the watch belongs in the garbage anyway.” 

The lady wrote down what I just have told her to engrave. She told me that I could pick the engraved watch up in about half an hour. During this time we went a little shopping for ourselves, then picked the watch up and paid it and then I finally went home, being happy to found something for both of them, Nathan and Alex. I was so glad that Ashley went with me. I could never have picked out something without her for neither Alex nor Nathan.