8 / serendipity

i keep finding warmth
from your smile
and love
from your laugh

song
are you bored yet?
wallows, clairo

——————
Charlie
——————

Jasper's chest rises and falls. Rises and falls. Every once and a while, he would groan in pain. Loudly. Several delinquents would shout at him, or even bang on the trapdoor to the third level of the Drop-ship, where Clarke, Jasper, and I were. After my argument with Bellamy last night, I decided to check on Jasper. Which resulted in me letting Clarke get some sleep for a couple hours, while I watched the dying boy. Clarke made me promise to wake her up when my shift was over, but the girl looked exhausted. So, two hours turned into five.

It wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It gave me time to think. Mostly about Bellamy and Atom. I felt absolutely terrible about leaving the boy tied up in the tree, and was going to go back for him. So, maybe an hour after I left Bellamy, I was going to leave and cut him down. But then Jasper grasped my hand lightly, and coughed out two words.

"Please... stay."

So, I did.

I was thirsty. And severely dehydrated, at that. The only water in the room was used to clean out Jasper's wound, so it wasn't an option.

"How long was I out?" Clarke questions softly as she sits up, rubbing her sleepy eyes.

"Two hours." I lie, standing and stretching. "I'm getting some water. Be back soon." The trapdoor makes a loud creaking sound as I open it.

"Wait." Clarke says, making me pause. "Happy birthday, Char."

Oh yeah, that. I was thinking about that too.

"Thanks." I give her a tight-lipped smile before climbing down the ladder slowly, passing two levels of sleeping kids. On the first floor, I find a metal bucket filled with water. Beside it, small tins. I don't question where they got the water, or if it was clean. Scooping up water with the tin, I step outside, taking small sips. It was still dark out, dawn hadn't broken yet. I allow my eyes to adjust to the dark. There were some dim fires placed around camp, with small groups of older kids quietly talking around them. They had also put up a couple tents in the meantime, using the parachutes from the landing. Other than that, it was completely dead. I take my hand and drag it across the metal of the Drop-ship as I walk to the side of the ship. It was cold to the touch, and sent shivers down my back. I arrive at a ladder, one that scaled up to the second level. Placing the water on a rung above me, I start climbing. When my water tin becomes level with my face, I place it higher, repeating the process as I climb.

"Oh shit." I whisper, glancing down. For someone who spent almost 18 years in orbit of Earth, looking down at the land and ocean below me, heights actually scared me. Finally, I make it to the top of the second floor, where the ladder ended. The first two levels of the Drop-ship were larger and wider than the third. There was about three feet of flat floor between the edge of the floor and the outer wall of the third level. On the outer wall, several panels looked fried to hell. I tiptoe past the panels and to a spot that looked over the front of camp, water tin in one hand, the other practically holding onto the wall. Dawn was now starting to break, the sky turning from a black to a deep blue color. I sit down, swinging my feet over the edge.

Breathe.

The air was crisp. Light. It was refreshing. I never thought I'd get to breathe air like this. A loud groan of pain emits from below me. I almost forget Jasper was just a couple feet under me.

My eyes trail over camp, studying the ground below me. I roll my mother's ring between my two fingers. A particular tent opening earns my attention. Squinting, I could make out a familiar curly dark-headed boy buttoning and zipping up his jeans, a shirt swung over the shoulder of his bare chest.