Chapter 3: Corpse

Simon's PoV

The sun was rising and so was the giggle. In some moments it was a high laughter. And I recognized it as well as my own.

Bella...

I followed the sound of her voice. I kept running towards it. My right foot caught with something and in a matter of seconds I was the ground. I pushed myself to look at what I had fallen on.

It was a corpse. Bella was dead. I saw no sign of blood nor did I notice any odour, but I was certain that she's dead. Her lips were blue. I could feel my chest tightening.

"So you found her" I heard a familiar voice . When I glanced up I was surrounded my people.

Ghosts.

Their faces were twisted and their bodies were deformed but among them was someone who looked totally normal. He was grinning like an idiot. Though the light was dim but it was enough for his green eyes to gleam.

I pulled all my strength and lunged at him. Something drifted across my vision and darkness surrounded all over.

Ellie's PoV

I woke up and glanced around, Claire was still asleep while Zach and Simon were nowhere to be seen.

They must have woken up early. I thought and got up. Glancing around for my knapsack I could see it nowhere in the room so decided to get out. It was perched on a small table in the room we were sitting last night. Light from a small window filled the room.

I picked the bag up and searched it for my phone. It wasn't there. I turned it upside down and threw it's contents on the floor, my phone was nowhere. I shoved my belongings back inside the bag and headed outdoor.

I was expecting the town to have rusty old cottages with creepy people but... it was lively. There were small huts scattered around and people were chattering with huge smiles on their faces. In the distance I could hear birds chirping.

A girl was carrying a basket of fruits and walking towards the forest. I wondered if she knows what is out there and if I should stop her but then I spotted him.

John was sitting with another elder man who seemed to be selling milk and eggs.

"Er... Can you please tell me what's the time?" I asked him.

"It's around seven in the morning" he smiled at me.

"Have you seen Zach and Simon?" I questioned awkwardly.

"Are you asking about your companions dear?"

Before I could reply I heard someone shouting my name.

I glanced around and saw Zach limping through the trees. I ran towards him. He neared a tree, rested his back on it and sat on the ground.

His forehead was wounded and bleeding.

"What the hell!" I yelled at the sight of blood.

"Huh... Suh... Simon.." He was panting.

"What happened to Simon?" I could feel my chest tightening.

"They took him" his voice was low.

"Who the hell took him and why the hell are you bleeding?" I sobbed. I can't lose another friend.

"He's bleeding , you can ask questions later" the girl I saw earlier carrying a basket had appeared behind me out of the blue. She came forward to help Zach followed by John and the guy he was chatting with earlier. They helped Zach up and took him to a cottage nearby.

It seemed like a homeopathic lab. Their were several beds and benches. Jars of various sizes hung on the walls filled with herbs.

The girl applied a wierd looking paste on Zach's forehead and bandaged it. Then she moved to his leg.

"Pull it up" She demanded.

Zach lowered himself.

"Not you, the girl" She commanded.

I bent down and pulled Zach's jeans. His leg looked like something had clawed on it mercilessly. No wonder he was limping.

The girl swore and applied something on his leg then injected him with something.

I kept staring silently.

I looked up at Zach. He was unconscious.

"Let him rest and come with me." She said warmly.

I glanced at Zach sympathetically and followed the girl.

"I'm Lara" the girl smiled at me, leading me out of the cottage. To a small garden behind it.

Outside people were busy chattering. And here my world was beginning to fall apart. Now two of my friends were missing and my boyfriend is injured.

"Come sit with me" she touched my elbow. I looked into her blue-green eyes and she gave me a sympathetic smile. We lowered ourselves on soft, cool grass.

"Aren't you too young to be a doctor?" I asked awkwardly.

"Haha, didn't see that coming. Maybe" she chuckled.

I liked her already.

"My name is Ellina, my friends call me Ellie." I tried but couldn't force a smile.

She put her hand on my shoulder

"I'm sorry"

"Are they dead... I mean my friends?" I said bluntly.

"Let's hope they're fine" she was trying to make me feel better.

"Who do you think is the culprit?" I couldn't stop asking.

"I..." she stopped for a moment seeming deep in thought. Then continued.

"Do you really wanna know?"

I nodded.

"These woods are haunted" she said brushing her elbows with her palms.

"What do you mean?"

She looked at me. I was certain she wasn't joking.

"ghosts?" My brows furrowed.

She nodded then spoke "and worse... demons."