Ch 14 Don't Shoot the Messenger

A paranoid Phil Madison looked over his shoulder as he reached the top of the stairs, scurrying into the Metropolitan Museum. After filming on-location in Central Park, the movie mogul wanted to keep up the pace. He thought that if he kept his movements unpredictable that the stalker would struggle to locate him.

Once he reached the doors, that familiar musty museum smell hit him. It felt like safety. You could get lost in a place like this for hours. So many curiosities to discover and plenty of tourists to blend in with. Or so he thought.

The problem with Vought on-location shoots was that they tended to draw in the crowds. As such, most of the tourists who had come to Central Park for the day were squashed up against the set security barriers desperate for a chance to see their favourite supe. As such, the Met had surprisingly low foot traffic.

This was particularly disappointing for Phil, who - for once - wanted to blend with the museum visitors.

On the other hand, Vought loved the attention that on-location shoots would get and often sent an available supe for an easy public relations opportunity.

The low foot traffic concerned Phil but he had made his choice now and his stubbornness wasn't going to let him turn around and walk back to set. A friendly museum rep approached him with a warm welcome at the entrance, but he breezed past in ignorance. The only person he wanted to see was Jess and he wanted answers.

Hushed whispers from museum visitors and the occasional squeak of shoes was a monotone contrast to the noisy few days Phil had experienced. It was a blur to him. He had hopped from work to late night events, barely sleeping. When he did, it wasn't in his own bed.

His strategy to avoid the stalker had worked so far. Since the home invasion, he had not received a 'gift' and he had not noticed any interference from the stalker. Part of him was almost smug about it, he was even starting to convince himself that he would solve the case before The Agency.

That was, of course, a huge over-statement. His clumsy footing made him stick out like a sore thumb. He was too busy trying to see if he was being followed to plan which route through the museum he would take. Unlike everyone else in the venue, he wasn't looking at the art, he was distracted.

Suddenly he found himself at the end of a long corridor in the Greek and Roman exhibit. A collection of carefully crafted sculptures stood before him. Each one was more intricate than the last.

Phil let out an exasperated breath which echoed up into the high ceilings. It was slightly louder than he had expected and a few tourists in the far corner looked over. The late nights and constant movement was catching up with him. He was awfully tired, which only worsened his paranoia.

Snapping him out of his slumberous trance, a message from Jess lit up his phone. "Overnight bag secured. I'm in back-to-back traffic but I'll be with you ASAP Mr Madison." She had typed.

Disappointment churned in his stomach. He felt particularly strung along by The Agency, having assumed they'd be able to locate and solve his little stalker problem in a matter of days. Expectation management wasn't exactly a concept that Phil understood.

There was a stark juxtaposition between the chiselled Greek statues and the dishevelled, manic man who stood before them. Their shadows cast upon him as if they were looking down on him with pity.

The low lighting of the museum granted him a little kindness, as the room was designed to highlight the art only with spotlights for each piece. Huge columns and a lofty ceiling made everyone within feel so small. Phil practically shrunk inside himself, a shell of his usual boisterous self.

Tourists shuffled by, paying no attention to him. Not even the security guard seemed to bat an eyelid, which was telling considering how many times Phil had paced around the same room. He looked up just as someone walked behind a marble figure. A moment of mania made him question if someone was following him. The panic was doused just as fast as it arrived by the appearance of the person on the other side of the statue. Just another passing tourist examining the exhibit.