Ch 36 Improvising

Without Phil's personal driver at his disposal, it took him and Jess hours to get back to his townhouse.

Thankfully the press had moved on by the time they made their exit from the venue together. Still, a sea of Vought Executives cast a judgemental eye on them as they waded through the crowd on their way out.

They might not have been papped when Jess bundled Phil into a cab, but people at the event would no doubt talk. Because of this, Jess needed to stop Phil from looking at online coverage of the event via his phone. He was in no fit state to do so. Even the smallest blow could shatter his already fragile mental state.

He wept for most of the journey.

The embarrassment had caught up with him. Not to mention the almighty come down he was facing from his first 24 hours sober. Withdrawals had kicked in and the pair of them knew that if they weren't together, Phil would likely send himself off on a bender again.

Jess was initially surprised to hear that Phil chose to go back to the townhouse and not the hotel. She wondered if perhaps he was feeling sentimental in his vulnerable state. Red flags told her not to go back, but she wasn't in a position to argue.

A familiar scene played out when they finally graced the steps to the front door. Phil needed assistance due to sheer exhaustion, so Jess offered a gentle arm around his waist to lead him up the stairs.

Phil didn't decline. For once, he didn't feel patronised and recognised the change in dynamic between the pair. It was a vulnerable moment for both of them.

The disgraced director paused as he turned the key in the lock. "Will you stay? I don't think it's safe to be alone and I'm not talking about the stalker this time."

He didn't look at Jess as he spoke. It was far too embarrassing for him. Sweaty hands stayed glued to the ice-cold key that had turned halfway.

Jess knew that staying was the right thing to do, but she didn't like the idea that they had left Chrissy behind.

"Of course." She reluctantly agreed.

As they walked through the townhouse door once again, Jess noted the absence of a security alert notification on her phone. Believing it was simply down to The Agency cutting ties with her, she continued to walk into the unsecured location.

The curtains were already drawn. Not an ounce of light could be seen.

"Has someone already been here?" Jess asked.

"I came back earlier today by myself. Save the diatribe. This is my house and I-" Phil instantly jumped to his own defence again.

"It's ok, it's ok," Jess held her palms up in an attempt to disarm Phil. "It's actually not my job to do that anymore... Mr.Madison, you should know that I don't work for The Agency anymore. By default, I don't work for you either."

Jess struggled to read the man's face as her statement finally sunk in.

"Yet... you're here anyway," Phil said.

Phil wasn't angry - for once. The fact that Jess had chosen to take care of him beyond the realm of her job humbled him slightly. After feeling like he couldn't trust anyone, this small act gave him hope.

He reached out for the light switch and illuminated the downstairs area. All was still. As he flopped onto the white sofa, he patted the space next to him as an invitation for Jess.

"I'm sorry, for what I said in anger. It wasn't you, I was angry at-" Phil's rare apology was cut off.

"You don't have to apologise."

"No I must. You weren't to know that they were conspiring against me. No one would have suspected that little brat." Phil sharpened his words slightly when speaking about Chrissy. Jess flinched, knowing that in truth, it was her fault.

"Mr.Madison, it's not what you think. Really. I sent Chrissy to Nathan A Lawson." Jess looked Phil in the eye as she spoke. She knew too well that if she shied away from her responsibility that it would only cause more problems.

"You did what?" He asked. Suddenly his body wasn't slouching on the sofa as he leaned forward to interrogate.

Jess felt the tone shift, but if she was going to be honest with Chrissy she needed to be honest with Phil too. Perched on the end of the sofa, she pushed her hands into her knees and took a deep breath before continuing.

"We needed to rule him out-"

"So you sent her behind enemy lines?" Phil's words cut into Jess. She already regretted her choice but to hear it from Phil, of all people, felt particularly insulting.

"I know, I know. It was a stupid idea. But Nathan likes to collect your ex-employees and..."