Ch 23 Miscommunication

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter includes depictions of violent, blood, drug use and sences of a sexual nature.

Mr. Madison, I keep reaching your voicemail but it's imperative that you take notice of this message. I'm aware that you're hosting an event this evening. I believe you may be targeted by a suspect. Please take extra precautions and call me asap.

Keeping up with Phil Madison was a hopeless cause, but Jess had to at least try. She couldn't locate him and neither could The Agency. He was a law unto himself and had pretty much gone AWOL on Jess.

This was cause for concern. Not only was Phil starting to gain a reputation for rolling around the city whilst under the influence, but there was also the small issue of two Vought executives colluding against him.

Following the hack, Jess had discovered hundreds of emails between Nathan A Lawson and Vought PR executive Ashley Barrett. Whilst this was not conclusive evidence of them stalking Phil, they certainly were not fans of him.

Jess tossed her phone onto her desk in frustration and clawed her hands through her hair. Taking a deep breath in, she desperately tried to calm her anxieties. Alas, the thick, dusty air of her apartment didn't offer the clarity she desired. She'd made one step forward in the investigation, but it felt like three steps backwards.

The thought of wandering through the city to find Phil took her back to a night she wanted to forget. She couldn't do that again. It was too big of a risk. Black Noir might not have visited her since, but it didn't mean he wasn't out there, somewhere.

Outside was now shrouded in darkness, apart from the flickering city street lights. The night was closing in. If Phil didn't pick up the phone before the evening's event, who knows what would happen. At best, Phil would end up embarrassing himself again. At worst, he could be vulnerable to his stalker. Nathan and Ashley landed somewhere in between.

From what lay in Nathan's inbox, he and Ashley revelled in the negative press from Phil's recent actions. Most of the emails between the pair enclosed links to various tabloid articles and gossip blogs detailing rumours and embarrassing incidents from Phil. No comment or discussion, just links to articles, mainly sent from Ashley to Nathan.

It was nothing new to Jess, she'd seen them on the forum already posted by notorious troll AnnWantsAHalo. Of course, Ashley would be one of the first to hear about such things due to her job. She drip-fed Nathan information, but he rarely replied, leading Jess to wonder what the purpose was.

She slapped her laptop shut. It would only frustrate her more to read endless emails between the pair of them. There still wasn't enough solid evidence to link them both directly to the stalker but they were definitely up to something.

The sudden absence of the glowing laptop screen plunged her desk area into darkness. Only a subtle warm glow emitted from her bedroom lamp beyond the doorway that separated the rooms.

Walking into her low-lit bedroom, she kicked the half-empty suitcase which still lay dormant on the floor. The action was followed by instant regret, as she was wearing open-toe strappy heels.

In preparation for rescuing Phil - had he picked up the phone - she dressed as she did for the previous Vought event. Simple but chic, something that would help her blend in. After all, she'd have to look the part to get through the door if there was a guest list.

The silky, black, slip dress draped over her body. Thin spaghetti straps, elegant cowl neckline and a daring split up the thigh; enough to look the part but nothing too wild. In between desperately calling Chrissy, Reggie and Phil, she'd managed to create the appearance of someone who was in control.

But the truth was far from it.

She turned and caught her reflection in the mirror, startling herself slightly. The low lighting cast dramatic shadows across her face, almost making her unrecognisable.