5

"Lucy?" James stated as he offered his hand to help Lucy. She couldn't notice James's hand because she was trapped in her own world, A world full of memories and flashbacks.

"Oh hi" Lucy stood there in shock, she wasn't even sure if James heard her. She just couldn't believe that he's right there. The boy she fancied at the beginning of her high school life.  

"Do you remember me?" If one thing James is good at is that he can hide any hint of nervousness in his voice and he's using that as an advantage as he continues to carry the conversation with the girl he loved ever since the summer of 2017.

"James I like you, I wanted to tell you that since the beginning of our training for the Science Quizbee"

"Oh that's cool, wait you fancied me since then?"

"Yeah"

It was currently summertime which means Children are spending most of their time outdoors, enjoying the warmth that the sun provided and the relaxing summer breeze. 

James and Lucy were currently having a picnic in a field full of flowers of all sorts. They rested against the big oak tree that was relaxing at the top of the small hill.
He knew he had to tell her before the 1st of August but he doesn't have the heart to tell her. He can't stand the sight of her crying. He knew that he was going to break her heart at any moment now. 

"Lucy?" It's now or never, he thought to himself. He was so entranced with her beauty, the way her raven black hair flawlessly rested itself on her shoulders, the way her smile can light up the glum environment, the way her eyes sparkled in the sunlight, and her soft pink lips. 

She stopped playing with the flowers and now turned to him. "Yes?"  She noticed a change in his demeanor. He's hesitant,  she thought.  Is he hiding something?  Is he okay? He's hesitant, such a rare occurrence.

"Look Lia, I enjoyed the past few months that I shared with you" He stopped at that statement, hesitation and pain are evident in his eyes. "Come on James, you have to tell her, or else you'll just hurt her even more than you intended, wait what? No, it's not my intention to hurt her. I just want what's best for her" His heart and mind are in a battle in which it'll end in a painful manner. He hates battles like these, they always end up hurting one of his loved ones and in this case, he's going to end up hurting her. The battle finally ended, he gave in to his mind, leaving his heart with disappointment. 

No, he's going to end things with me, She thought. Accept it, Lucy, you can't do anything about it, if he wants to leave then let him. There's no point in holding on to a ship that's about to sink. Don't show how hurt you are, accept it. Her mind already told her how to handle the situation.