Chapter 2: THE FIRST APPROACH

I had taken extra care with my appearance today. Not that I didn't before, but I had to look incredible. It was the first time in four weeks that I would see Bella. I had chosen to go to her weekend job at a high-end store at the mall and dazzle her with my presence then take her out to a great restaurant so that I could talk to her without interruption. I needed her to know that I would give her the world as long as she came back to me.

I wiped my hands on my pants as I stood at the entrance to the store. With a deep breath, I entered. She worked in the women's department, so I strolled casually in that direction.

"Kim Seokjin!" a female voice cried out. I cringed when I heard the clacking of shoes running toward me. "Seokjin! Hi!"

I plastered on a neutral smile. "Oh, hi--" I realized I didn't know her name, "--there." I was almost sure I hadn't slept with her in the past. I hoped I hadn't!

Her eyes examined me eagerly from top to bottom and back again. "Oh my God, you're so handsome! I can't believe you're here!" She grabbed my arm. "Can I help you with something? Do you need anything?"

I glanced around nervously, hoping that Bella wouldn't see this unfortunate occurrence.

"Seokjin!" another voice called out. I groaned. Why couldn't girls just leave me alone? "You're here! How are you?"

Now I had a girl holding on to each arm. What should I do? I gave them a weak smile.

"Ladies, it's nice to see you, too, but could you tell me where I might find a girl named Bella?"

I looked from one to the other, and both their faces registered disappointment.

"The girl you used to date?" the first girl asked with a pout. "Why do you need to see her? Didn't you break up with her?"

I glanced around again. We were gaining attention from passersby, and I was feeling uncomfortable.

"Well, you see," I began, my voice's pitch going uncharacteristically higher, "it didn't quite happen like that. There was a bit of a misunderstanding."

"You didn't break up with her?"

"Not in the usual sense, no," I said. "That's why I need to talk to her. Can you--can you tell me where her department is?"

"You can do better than her," the second girl insisted, tugging on my arm. "She's so cold and...and stuck up."

"Yeah," the other girl concurred. "She thinks she's so smart. You deserve someone else."

I shook my head. "Uh, no. No, I don't. I like smart." Crap! How could I untangle myself from these girls without being overtly rude? "If you could just tell me where Bella is, I would really appreciate it. Ladies? Where?"

"She's right there," one of them said, pointing. "Bella!"

"No!" I tried to stop her, but her shrill voice carried like an arrow.

Bella and another woman both turned in our direction. Her expression went from surprise to anger much too quickly for my liking.

"Ah, yes, there she is," I said and pulled my arms away from both girls while they were distracted. I walked toward Bella, making sure to keep my eyes on hers. God! She looked amazing! How could she have gotten even more beautiful since the last time I saw her?

In a few steps I was standing in front of her.

"Hi, Bella."

"What are you doing here?" she asked suspiciously.

"I came to see you," I replied and gave her my most sincere smile.

She frowned. "And you brought your harem along?" Her eyes flickered to the girls who were still looking our way.

"No, they work here," I said. "I think they were just trying to make a sale."

"Hm," she grunted. "Is that how the jewelry department makes sales?"

"Yeah, crazy," I said, still looking into her face. "I should...tell management." I paused. "I've missed you. So much. Haven't you missed me and my handsome picture-perfect face?"

She smiled briefly, seemingly in spite of herself. "Seriously, Jin. You're more arrogant than ever."

I took a step closer. "You just love calling me that. But, I don't mind. Arrogant or not, my feelings for you are genuine. You make this world bearable for me." I looked into her eyes, trying to see if she understood how I felt. She must!

"Why are you really here?" The smile was gone from her face.

I took a deep breath to calm myself down. My heart was racing. "Bella, I would like to take you out. On a--on a date, that is."

"Why?" She wasn't going to make this easy.

"Because, well, because I think that there's still a lot more to our story. For the sake of what we once had and what you still feel for me, I believe we should take some time to talk about it." I paused a beat. "Don't you think?" I gazed into her gorgeous hazel eyes, willing her to remember how much she loved me and to admit she wanted me still.

Time seemed to stop for a moment as our eyes were locked together. I thought I saw the expression on her face soften, and I knew she was thinking about how good we were together. God, how I loved her! I gulped when my gaze moved to her lips, and I remembered how magical it felt to kiss her. I closed my eyes for a second to relive the joy of those kisses.

"No." Her voice jarred me out of my daydream. "I don't think so."

"Wait...what?" I felt confused. Had I missed something?

"No, Seokjin. There's really nothing left to talk about. I don't think I can do this anymore. You said we'd have to move on. It seems you certainly did, judging by all of the excited chatter I hear from your fangirls. Why come to me now?"

I had not expected this reaction. I never thought she'd refuse to go out with me. She loved me! Why would she refuse? This was not supposed to happen!

"I only said that because I thought it was what you wanted. Listen to me, please just--"

"I'm sorry," she interrupted me. "I have to get back to work. Your harem is waiting. I'm sure they would love to go out with you." She spun on her heel and walked away.

Damn it! Why was she being so stubborn? I saw the two girls still waiting for me with big smiles and rushed to find another exit from the store.