Chapter Nine

Caesar

"How about pizza and wings?" Ellis offers exasperated and we all look to the child sitting in the middle of the floor. West puts a finger to his chin. Hums, smacks his lips and taste the air.
"Nah-"
"I swear to god I will let you die here." Alex glared at him and we knew five time out of ten Alex usually meant her threats.
"Fine, I want pepperoni though."
We all let out a sigh of relief as my stomach was quite literally in my back. We were on our sixth Marvel movie and a thunderstorm rolled in. Ellis had gathered up all the pillows and blankets in her room and we all scattered. I preferred the lounge chair by the window, in this seat I could see the entire living room, and entrance to the kitchen.
Ellis and Max were smushed together tightly on the love seat and Alex was lounging in the couch. West occupied the floor.
This was common for us. Miley was blowing my phone up but I really didn't want to spend my first real weekend off with her. I don't have practice, Thankfully coach sent out a message that we won't get back on track for another few weeks because his wife just had a baby.

"Hey we were just about to order pizza, did you want anything?" I look up briefly from my phone to see who Ellis directed her question to but do a double take when I notice Marley in the door way of the living room.
A certain haze was over her eyes almost every time I saw her, now they were blood shot like she had been crying. Red tinged honey eyes flicker over the room briefly before she looks back to Ellis.

"They got pasta?" She hums and leans over the coach to look on the menu on Ellis's phone. It's odd seeing her outside of school. She usually wore baggy clothes that didn't seem like they belong to her but now she only wore a spaghetti strap tank top and grey sweet pants that hung loose on her hips giving you the slightest sliver of Carmel skin peeking out.
"Yeah, shrimp or chicken?"
Her face immediately scrunches in disgust, "Chicken is gross. Definitely shrimp. Thanks." Their altercation from earlier seemed to be non existent between them as Ellis offered the bowl of popcorn from between Her and Max.
"You can join us if you want. We're the sixth Marvel movie I think?" Ellis offers and we all gauge her reaction. She hesitates and Alex speaks up again.
"It would be nice if someone other than West, chose a movie."
I definitely over analyze. Because if you would have blinked you would have missed the slight twitch in the corner of Marley's mouth. She shrugs and nods.
"Sure. Give me a second." She turns out the room without waiting for a response, she's only gone for a few moments before Ellis squeals quietly, the noise is startling and we all look at her in confusion.
"Progress. People, progress." She beams and I roll my eyes.
My mind already running wild on what she could be doing up there and I scold myself for this girl seeming to occupy majority of my thoughts. Lately. It's been quite irritating really, I had other things to worry about. Not some girl I don't know.
I divert my attention back to my phone and try not to think about the tattoos littering her arms. They were mainly black and white but there were a few colorful ones and it made me want to explore more of her inked skin.
I click on Miley's contact. Then I pause.
I really didn't want to bring her back to my place and I definitely didn't want to be trapped at hers. I pondered the thought.

About thirty minutes drift by before I get annoyed.
"Where is the food." As I speak Marley comes back down. Eyes not focusing on anything in particular. She's got her phone in one hand and a black furry blanket in the other. She doesn't look at anyone before claiming the last empty in the other lounge chair next to mine.
As she passes me, I get a whiff of her smell and I had to physically control myself from inhaling deeply. She smells like vanilla and a hint of weed.
I glance at her as she sits, the chair practically swallows her as she gets comfortable. Once she is she tosses the blanket over her and completely disappears despite her hair.

We all settle back into the movie but about ten minutes after the doorbell rings and we all jump to get the food. Except Marley. After Max pays we haul all the food the guy delivered into the kitchen and I go for the plates in the cabinet.
"Hey give this to Marley will ya?" Ellis is suddenly thrusting a container of shrimp Alfredo and breadsticks in my arm. The she sheepishly balances a bottle of water on top and I roll my eyes before grabbing my own plate and bottle of water and going back into the living room.
Marley's hooded eyes are looking at the Tv but I'm not sure she's watching it, she doesn't even notice me approach and I take the moment to figure out something to say that isn't utter bullshit.

"Here's your food."
"Thanks." Our hands brush momentarily as she grasp the container and I have to take in a sharp breath as I feel how soft her hands are.
What the fuck Caesar?

"You doing okay?" I ask after I've settled back into my own seat. She turns from the Tv. Chewing her bite of food, she seems to be really be mulling over my question. She looked me directly in the eye like she was looking for anything other than genuity.

"I-" Her gaze and my own glance to the door way where West and Max come through bickering and she stops talking, clamming down and I felt like punching both of them in the face.