Chapter Thirteen

Caesar put the little white ball in line with his right eye.
Between West and him they had two cups left and Ellis and I had three. West couldn't aim but he could drink, Ellis was average but the real competition was between Caesar and I.
I started with a clean shot to start us off and he took it as a challenge. It's kind of fun, it would be better if Danny wasn't trying to get my attention, or if the brunette wasn't trying to latch herself onto Caesar.
I tried not to let it bother me, my plan was to ignore his presence the entire night but Ellis, needed a beer pong partner and I needed an escape from Danny.
Honestly the weed wasn't worth the constant pick up lines.

Caesar finally releases the ball from his grasp is a graceful fling. It pings off the table and plunges into the cup in the front. Ellis groans before throwing back the contents of the cup with a sour face.
I roll my eyes as he and West cheer loudly, I almost laugh at their antics but suddenly Danny is next to me.
"How about I help you with this throw Marley?"
I sigh and my hand that was holding the beer pong ball falls limp to my side.
"Nah I'm good." I let out a breath and get ready to aim again, I'm just about to release it and get us one step closer to winning.

But suddenly Danny leans in closer, close enough for me to smell the weed and Vodka on his breath. He snakes an arm around my waist unexpectedly and pulls me into him. My body freezes immediately from the contact and before I know it my arm is cocked back and there an impact.

Blood starts to gush from Danny's nose and pain was starting to climb up my wrist.
He stumbles back with his hands now on his nose looking at me with wild eyes.
"You bitch!" Danny lunges at me with his one good arm, anger rises like an exploding volcano. This time I aim for his throat and he drops to one knee.
"Don't fucking touch me." I'm seething, trying desperately to get out of the crowd that had formed.
The music is too loud, there's too much smoke lingering in the air. I feel like I can't catch my breathe.
"Move." I shove and push my way to the front door.
Forcing my way out I take in as much fresh air as I can. I don't even register the door slamming behind me, I pull at the flannel I had tired around my waist and throw it to the ground. Ripping my hair free from its trap, I gasp, and gasp until black dots start to appear.

"Hey, hey. Breathe."

Then I'm sucked into a storm. Cool steel gray eyes that I now notice have vibrant blue hue specks in them. My arms are limp at my side as I fall into his eyes, he's not touching me but he's close enough for me to smell his cologne and his breath to fan across my face.
He smells like coke and gum.

"There you go." I don't realize my breathing was matching his until he steps back slightly and I find myself slightly stepping forward, wanting to be in his space as much as possible. He notices the small movement, I knew he would. Nothing gets past Caesar.
Then he steps closer, looking me directly in my eyes and I feel a shiver brush up my spine.
"Oh shit. Sorry." He strips his leather jacket, muscle flexes under the thin fabric of his shirt. "May I?" He gestures to the jacket softly. I pause before nodding slowly, goosebumps rising on my skin where ever the cool air touches.
I don't break eye contact as he slowly reaches around to place his coat gently on my shoulders.
The fabric brings immediate heat and I take in his musk. My eyes flicker to the only tattoo I've ever seen on him.

Mianna.

It's written in beautiful script, going across his left bicep. "She was my mother." He whispers, looking down at the tattoo inked into his skin. Answering a question I didn't even ask, not aloud. But apart of me was honored he would share something so personal with me.
Then he looks back at me and I'm taken back by the raw sadness in them.
"She passed away just before freshman year." His voice doesn't crack but it definitely wavers in strength and I feel my heart bleed at his pain. Losing a parent is unbearable.

"I'm so sorry." I whisper, I mean it, I was so sorry he had to feel that type of pain. That he still has this type of pain. His mother left four years ago but I only lost my dad a few months ago and the pain still feels like it was yesterday.
He doesn't comment more on his mother.

"Do you want me to take you home?" We were at the end of the path now, by his truck that was massive. My flannel clutched in his grasp, I definitely didn't want it after Danny had touched it. I shiver at the feel of his hands still on my waist.

"Haven't you been drinking?" I pin him with my eyes. I'm not under the influence enough to know he was at that beer pong table. I was high as hell but barely buzzed.
"Trust me I haven't had a drop of alcohol all night."
I hum, eyeing his truck before I speak again.
"Why not?" I pry. I shouldn't but I do, wanting to know more about the boy who was so interested in everything around him.

"I don't drink." He shrugs as he bounces on the balls of his feet in his spot, something my brother Miles often did. I smile fondly at the nostalgic movement.
"Yeah I would like a ride, if you don't have to get the others." I murmur before glances at the direction of the raging party when I look back Caesar is typing something on his phone and after a few moments he looks up with a bright smile.
"Alex will get them back. Let's go." He opens the passenger side of his truck and stands to the side to let me climb inside. He doesn't touch me but he does stand close to make sure I don't fall because let's admit it. I'm puny and this truck is huge.