36. Happy Without Me

Present:

As I look at him I can't understand why he never left. He stuck by me even when he didn't have to.

I smile, "How's your mzungu?"

"I wasn't..."

He starts but I put my hand up to stop him, "You don't have to lie, Paul. I know you go to see him and it's okay, really."

He gives me a sad smile and he nods, "You know he hates it when you call him that."

Fahim wasn't really white, he was half Arab and half Kenyan but people had a tendency of calling light people that.

"So why are my bags packed?" He asks.

"Because you're leaving. You and your boyfriend are leaving this town like you've always wanted to."

"I'm not leaving you."

I rise up to go sit by his side taking his hands in mine, "Paul you've been so good to me and words can't even express how grateful I am to have you in my life. But I see the look on your face when he calls you and you don't want me to know it's him. You deserve to be happy, you both deserve to be happy. This is me letting you go, Paul. If you love me, you'll go."

"I can't leave you," he says tears welling in his eyes, "we made a promise to each other."

I take his face in my hands nodding, "That was before Fahim. He makes you so happy and I can't live with myself knowing I'm keeping you from having a wonderful life with a wonderful man."

"Why are you doing this to me?"

"I shouldn't drag you down with me. I'll be okay. I promise you I'll be okay."

"If you ever need anything..."

"I will call, Paul. I will."

"I love you so much and you're stronger than you even know," he says pulling me in for a hug and I fight the lump in my throat.

"Be happy, okay?" I say once we've pulled apart.

He nods with a smile.

"One more thing."

"What?" He asks.

"Can I keep the ring?"

He laughs and takes my hand in his placing a gentle kiss on my knuckles, "Of course you can keep the ring. I meant every word I said when I proposed to you, our friendship doesn't end now."

"If we never make it out of here..."

"I will forever be your husband..."

"And I your wife..."

"And we'll be okay."

A/N:
Why do I always insist on hurting myself? What is the reason?

Please vote and comment. It's ending ahhhh

I love youuuu!!

-Reign 💛