10: high

In the end, it didn't take long for Kenma to black out from the pain, and Kuroo picked him up and carried him up the stairs — a heavy job, but necessary since the injured boy would be unable to climb down the stairs in the state he was in

In the end, it didn't take long for Kenma to black out from the pain, and Kuroo picked him up and carried him up the stairs — a heavy job, but necessary since the injured boy would be unable to climb down the stairs in the state he was in. Kuroo carried Kenma into the bathroom and laid him in the bathtub, drawing the curtain shut and locking the door behind him on his way out.

Hours later, Kenma regained his consciousness and was greeted with a sickening pain that hurt until he couldn't see straight. Without thinking, he lifted his bad hand to steady himself on the edge of the bathtub so he could get up. He sobbed out a gasping breath as he felt the ruined metacarpals grate against each other. Collapsing back into the bathtub, he moaned out a curse under his breath.

The pain was so intense; it ripped through every inch of his body, alerting him of tender nerves he didn't even realise he had. Crunching up, he doubled over and threw up all over his torso. The smell was vile, the yellow and green bile streaked with blood and chunks of food. The repulsive odour of it was enough to send Kenma's senses reeling and cause him to vomit again. Bile streamed through his nose and mouth, tears leaking out the corners of his eyes in pain and fear.

He pressed the heel of his good hand into his eyes and snuffled quietly. It had all happened so fast. Kuroo... what had happened to his friend? What had pushed him over the edge? Was he going to kill Kenma soon?

Kenma's headache roared in his ears and his vision turned black again.

-

It had taken ages to clean up all the glass in the kitchen and get the blood out of the living room carpet, but it was done now. Kuroo smiled ruefully at his dad's unconscious figure on the couch. He really slept through all that. What a fool.

He slipped out the front door and locked it behind him, fully confident that Kenma wouldn't be able to escape.

Opening his car door, he hopped in and called you on his phone. You picked up quickly.

"Hey, Kuroo!"

Instantly, the tension in Kuroo's shoulders subsided at the sound of your sweet voice.

"Hi, darling," he smiled down the line. "Any plans this evening?"

"Nope."

"Great. I'm coming to pick you up in about twenty minutes, so get ready, okay?"

You nodded before remembering he couldn't see you over the phone. "Okay. See you soon!"

He hung up and smiled to himself while starting up the car. Turning up the volume on the radio, he hummed along with the mainstream tune as he drove.

Pulling up on your street a little while later, he tooted the horn gently to alert you that he was there.

You came out onto the driveway and waved at him, swinging your bag on your arm. "Hi!" you smiled as you got in the passenger seat. "Where are we going?"