13: funeral

By the end of the next week, the school was buzzing with rumours

By the end of the next week, the school was buzzing with rumours. No one had seen Kenma all week, and people were starting to ask questions. Kenma's parents had called the police and they had put out a piece in the newspaper and on TV, but no one was being questioned yet — there wasn't any evidence to point to foul play. The boy's phone had been unable to be tracked, so the police were suspecting a runaway.

Besides, teenagers went missing every day. No one cared enough to worry about just one.

On Saturday morning, you accompanied Kuroo to his fathers funeral sorrowfully. You clutched his hand throughout the service and stared out into the small congregation of black-clad mourners.

It must be especially difficult on him, losing his father, and his best friend going missing, within a week.

After the service, there was no wake. Kuroo was swamped by relatives offering condolences while you stood by his side awkwardly.

When he managed to slip away, he got in his car wordlessly and you followed.

"Hey," you squeezed his arm comfortingly, "You feeling okay?"

He stared out onto the road numbly. "I guess."

He drove you back to his house and brung you inside for the first time — he'd cleaned up the living room to make it presentable since he planned on having you over more often.

He just couldn't let you go upstairs.

Opening the door with his keys, he discarded his black suit jacket on the back of the couch and wandered in to the kitchen.

You sat down on the armchair across from the couch and waited for him.

Kuroo sauntered back in the room with a bottle of red wine in hand. He sank back on the couch and loosened his tie. He popped the bottle top off and brought the rim straight up to his lips. He sat with his back low on the cushions, legs apart in a man-spreading position as he knocked back the alcohol.

You perched on the armchair across from him and fidgeted with your sheer black stockings. Does he want me to talk, or would he prefer silence? God, I get so nervous around him. I hate the feeling.

"Y/n," he said, his gravelly voice cutting through your thoughts.

"Yes?"

"Stay the night."

"O-oh. I don't know..."

"Why not?" he demanded, clutching the neck of the bottle. "I want to have sex with you tonight."

Your shoulders tensed up involuntarily. "I don't feel like it," you said.

"What?" his voice grew in volume. "I've just lost my dad and you can't oblige me with a single thing to take my mind off it?"

"N-no, I really don't feel like it..."

He exhaled disbelievingly and ran a hand through his hair. "God. I treat you like a fucking queen, y/n. Is this really how you're going to treat me in return?"

You frowned. "I said I didn't want to. You should respect that."

"You're being a bitch," he snapped.

"You're being a douchebag! You're forcing me to do things I don't want to do. You've practically forced everything in this relationship!"

"Shut up!" Kuroo yelled, leaping to his feet and towering above you.

You folded your arms and stayed seated. "I don't think I want this anymore."

"What?!" he demanded.

"I don't want this anymore! I'm breaking up with you."

"No!" Kuroo shouted. "You can't! Fuck! You can't break up with me!" He ran his hands through his hair, pulling at it anxiously. "Fuck, fuck fuck fuck. This wasn't supposed to happen!

"You can't leave me," he repeated. "If you leave, I'll tell everyone what a whore you are."

"W-what?!"

Kuroo hastily pulled his phone out of his trouser pocket and shoved it at you to reveal a video. On the screen, the room was dark, but there was no mistaking it as the motel room you'd stayed in with him last week. In the video, you were on the bed, performing those sexual acts.

The most intimate moment of my life and... he recorded it? you squeezed your eyes shut so you didn't have to look at the video.

"If you leave me, I'll make sure the entire school, and all of your family and friends see this video," he threatened.

"That— that's blackmail!" you yelled, jumping to your feet.

He threw the alcohol bottle on the ground in rage and it smashed, causing you to flinch, hard. Red liquid seeped across the floor, slow and thick, like blood.

"I don't care if it's blackmail, you're not leaving me!" he screamed in your face. Something in his features changed then, and his face creased, his eyes becoming sorrowful. "Please... please, y/n, I can't loose you too." He grabbed the fabric around the neck of your dress and pulled you near to him, sinking his head onto your shoulder and allowing a sob to escape him.

You stood rigid and emotionless as he wailed into your chest, his hands clutching you close to him. "Please, y/n," he sobbed. "Tell me you won't leave."

You felt a lump in your throat, like the words were there, ready to be said, but you couldn't muster them. Instead you croaked out a throaty sound that had no meaning.

"Say it."

You swallowed and lowered your gaze submissively. Your shoulders shook in fear, and you both knew Kuroo had won.

His demeanour changed again and he straightened, taking hold of your face in his hands, gripping your chin and forcing you to look at him. "If you ever try to leave again, I'll fuck you up so bad, you won't ever be able to show your face in public again."

He pulled you close to him and kissed you. His mouth tasted bittersweet, of wine and honey and lies.

When he slid his hand underneath the skirt of your dress and tore at your stockings, you didn't stop him. When he unzipped your dress and let it fall to the floor along with his button-up shirt and trousers, you didn't resist. When he thrusted inside you, you moaned like you knew he wanted to hear.

You kept your eyes shut and did as he expected, waiting for it to be over. When he finished and fell asleep on the couch, you stayed still, tears hovering in your eyes, but not allowing any to fall.