23: bath

You slept off the fever through the night and into later the next morning

You slept off the fever through the night and into later the next morning. It was Monday, and you woke up on the couch to find Kuroo's house empty.

Rising from the sofa with a well-needed stretch, you wandered into the kitchen for a glass of water and found a scrap of paper stuck to the fridge with a magnet.

I've gone to school today. Don't go out.

-K

You wondered briefly if he'd made an excuse to your parents or the school explaining your absence, before realising you really didn't care that much. You just wanted to forget about your responsibilities.

You poked around the kitchen and living room, curious to see if you could find your phone since Kuroo still hadn't returned it to you.

No luck.

Oh well. It's not like I need it anyway.

You flopped back on the couch and waited to see if you needed to cry again. You expected tears to flow freely, but the only thing you felt was exhaustion.

Reaching for the TV remote, you flipped to a random channel. Some true crime documentary.

"... the serial killer had a particular method of disposing of his victims. He drowned the bodies in rivers far away from where—"

You abruptly slammed the button to a different channel, squeezing your eyes shut tightly to block out the memories clamouring at your brain. But behind your scrunched eyelids, images of Naoka's dead body flashed like a slideshow. The fear in her eyes just before you killed her, the rain on her cold lifeless skin, the way she sunk like a rock down to the bottom of the river.

Make it stop make it stop makeitstop

You dug the heels of you palms into your eyes, desperate to make the visions disappear. Coloured dots danced across your vision from rubbing too hard. Blindly, you flicked the channel on the TV to a harmless children's cartoon.

Just focus on the TV, y/n. Look. Cartoon dogs and cats. Listen to their voices. Don't think about anything else.

Gradually, your panic faded, and you were lulled back into sleep by the sounds coming from the TV.

Kuroo came home from school to find you slumped on the couch, your arm hanging off the edge with the TV remote dangling from your fingertips. He smiled a little.

She looks so cute and innocent when she's tired. She looks like she belongs here.

He left his school bag in the doorway and gently crept over to the couch, placing a light hand on your shoulder.

You stirred softly, your eyes fluttering open.

"Hi darling, I'm back."

"Hey," you mumbled, the clutches of sleep still clinging onto the edge of your voice. "How was your day?"