17: questioning

That Friday, the mood at Nekoma was tense, each student on edge, the air prickling with palpable suspicion

The reason?

Police officers were beginning interrogation. With Kenma having been gone for nearly two weeks, his parents had begged for the police force to look into it, convinced their introverted son would never have run away from the comfort of his own home.

"They'll be questioning the whole volleyball team, obviously," Yaku commented to Kuroo as the two of them lingered outside their lockers before class started.

"Good, I hope they can find out what's going on soon," Kuroo said. "I'm starting to get really worried about Kenma."

"Me too."

The two of them headed to their first class, calculus, and sat at their respective desks.

The teacher shuffled his papers on his desk at the front of the classroom before standing up and clearing his throat authoritatively. "Good morning students. As I'm sure many of you have seen, there are officers from the police force here today to begin interrogation about the unfortunate disappearance of Kenma Kozume."

The class let out a low murmur of concern.

"Now," he continued, "there's obviously no need to worry. If you know anything that could be helpful, please don't hesitate to speak up. If you were a friend of Kozume's, on the volleyball team, or in his class, you'll be asked a few questions individually, as part of procedure. The officers will come collect you at any given time today to talk, and you are permitted to leave your class for it. That's all."

As if he'd manifested it, there was a knock on the classroom door just then, and two policemen came into the room, looking out to the group of students. One held himself proudly in his uniform, his straight brown hair combed over neatly; the other had a significantly hunched posture, long unkept black hair, and dark grooves under his eyes, indicating the apparent lack of sleep.

"My name is Officer Yagami," the brown-haired one introduced himself with an air of confidence, "and this is my co-worker, Ryuzaki. We'll be asking some of you questions about Kozume, starting with the volleyball team." Yagami glanced down at his clipboard. "Tetsuro Kuroo?"

Kuroo painted a casual smile on his features and stood up from his desk, his stance confident without being cocky. He walked to the front of the classroom and bowed to the officers respectfully.

They ushered him out of the classroom and led him down the hallway to the principal's office. Principal Shirogane nodded at the officers and left the office to them.

Officer Yagami sat in the Principal's chair and gestured for Kuroo to sit across the desk, while Officer Ryuzaki stood hunched in the corner of the room, observing silently whilst biting at the skin of his thumb.