Chapter 22- A War on Hold

After nearly two decades of smoothing over the relationship between Hertha and Gigar to avoid a catastrophic war by which almost bankrupted the planet of Hertha to send financial aid to Gigar, President Annette Scher was killed by a Triwizard.

Hertha, who had been experiencing a crippling of their economy and the worst depression seen since Estella was young, could no longer afford to send such a luxurious amount of money to Gigar, especially considering the aid wasn't helping to do what the aid promised to do, it was lining the pockets of the greedy politicians. By a unanimous vote done by the congress, Prime Minister Ashton Carson was re-elected for his third term in office. He polled poorly, but that didn't matter, because Gigar was not a democracy.

            The system on Hertha was a democracy, but a president served a life term, which made people a lot more weary of voting for elves. This allowed no time for campaigning, merit and accomplishments were the only thing that could get anyone elected in the VQ.

            Not many people wanted to be president of VQ. It was thought to be a cursed position, so those who sought power were the only ones who registered to run a campaign. Of the eight that registered to run, only two of them were deemed eligible by congress.

The decision must be made by the people to elect a woman who would cause pospills to become a worthless currency or a man who would send them to war. The choice was not simple for most, but they only had two days to decide before elections.

            Heidi Goldmine and Jason Romero took the podium for the only debate before the impending election. Each of them had incredible careers as lawyers, and they were both rather wealthy, Heidi more so than Jason, but there were questions about which would lead the territory better. No one felt strongly connected to either, but everyone was debating with each other about the empty promises made by each of the politicians.

            Fluora, as always, facilitated the debate. She allowed for five questions to be asked of each politician. The people wanted to know much more than that, but she wanted to get home to play with her new puppy she bought with the bonuses she received from Gigar's government for being the ambassador.

            The first question pissed almost the entire population of Hertha off. The question was wasted on school lunch options. While each handled the topic differently, nothing could really be told about their likelihood of starting the war back.

Heidi, the big spender, suggested school lunches should be healthier for the youth. On the other hand, Jason was about price line, so he said school lunch doesn't have to be healthy, that it has to be cheap. While the question seemed like a miss, it put the two into two separate political parties.

            The first question established their political party. The second question was another that had people wondering why these people were allowed to be reporters. The reporter asked, "what are your stances on allowing transgender men to use the same bathroom as cis males?"

Hertha exploded on Twatwatch, a social media site. The reporters only had a few questions to ask, but they were asking horrible questions.      Everyone wanted to know about the recession they were currently in and what each of them would do to stop it. They wanted to know about the chances they could get drafted for a war. They didn't give a shit about where transgenders went to the bathroom. There were four separate bathrooms: one for binary males, one for binary females, one for transgender males, and one for transgender females. The system worked, but most people didn't care at all when transgender people used the wrong bathroom. It wasn't important.

            But the question was very telling of how liberal each of the politicians were. As expected, Heidi was all for the unification of the bathrooms, and Jason wanted them to remain how they were. The people of Hertha wanted to know their fates, and the third question would finally be one that would ignite a true debate.