like a sword upon our hearts

Searing pain. That's what Techno felt when the cold metal was stabbed into his chest. It tore through skin and muscle, just grazing his heart.

He was lucky.

Techno didn't feel very lucky.

When Technoblade was a young boy, he was cut deep in his shoulder. It nearly punctured a bone, he couldn't remember a worse time in his life. A worse pain in his life. He had been abused and beaten in foster homes, but the beatings stopped once he was old enough to hit back. But that fight, when he was fourteen, was the first fight he didn't win.

That's also when he met Phil. Phil, a few years older than him, had saved Techno. Since that moment, Techno was certain that if he could beat Phil, he could win any fight.

Years spent training with Phil, learning to fight, and he still hadn't beaten the man. But he was able to win every other fight he was in.

Except for the one that mattered.

Which brought him back to where he was. Or wasn't. He wasn't back in that warehouse, bleeding out beside Phil's broken corpse.

He opened his eyes once, but the world was bright. Cruel, people in blue over him. He wanted to slip back into the soft, comforting darkness. Back into the world where he wasn't being hovered over by unfamiliar figures, where indistinct voices weren't so loud.

So he did.

But keeping his eyes closed was shockingly hard work, so Techno's eyes fluttered open into the dark light. He remembered it being brighter when he first looked, but the blinds were somewhat closed. It was nice.

He tried to get up, but couldn't move. Someone was in the corner.

Someonewasinthecornersomeonewasinthecornersomeonewasinthecornersomeonewasinthecornersomeonewasinthecorner.

Someone.

Was.

In.

The.

Corner.

Panic and bile rose up in his throat, Techno wanted to vomit. He needed his glasses, his contacts, he needed to see. He needed to see who that was who was that?

He couldn't move. Couldn't move couldn't move couldn't move. He couldn't see, couldn't move. The two worst things ever. He tried to open his mouth, to call for someone. He couldn't speak.

The three worst things to happen as whatever was in the corner, spindly and terrifying, rose.

It was at the foot of the bed.

His body screamed to run, to move, to get away from that THING that was at the foot of his bed. It was coming closer, he felt the weight he felt IT.

The door opened and someone else walked in. Techno just laid there, his eyes wide open as the lights were flicked on at it was gone. It was gone.

Relief flooded his system, he wanted to cry. It was gone.

The person who had turned on the lights rushed over to his side.

"Hello? Mr. Techno Blade? Are you there? Blink twice if you can hear me." Technoblade blinked twice. "That's good, that's good. I'm going to sit you up, okay? Your surgery was successful, we were just waiting for you to wake up."

"Is Phil here?" Was all Techno croaked. The nurse, a woman with reddish-brown hair thought for a moment.

"A blonde with about shoulder length hair visits a lot. Is that Phil?" Techno nodded. "I believe he's out getting food. He should be back soon." She said, patting his arm, "He cares about you quite a bit. I'll go get a doctor for you."