Chapter 76

"So, we are going with the freak's idea of just staying here?" Kisame asked.

"It is a feasible option." Itachi told him. Truth be told he liked the thought of giving his kunoichi a few days' rest.

"Feasible my ass." Hidan cut in. "It is fucking genius."

"We shall take turns keeping watch and subtly patrolling." Itachi confirmed. "Once they reveal their presence they need to be lured away from the village."

"I will lure them out." Sakura said.

"Unacceptable." Itachi brushed aside her comment. "You shall not be alone with him."

"She won't be alone." Hidan argued. "She has us to watch her back. It is a good idea. I would follow her out of this place before I would follow either of your ugly asses."

"It is settled." The kunoichi agreed.

"You sure kid?" Kisame asked worried about her.

"Why wouldn't I be?" She countered.

"Of course." Kisame sighed. "Forgive me, sometimes I forget that you and Itachi are some kind of super shinobi."

"I won't be low on chakra this time." Sakura locked eyes with Kisame daring him to question her further.

"Fine." Itachi gave in. He knew she was not a super shinobi as Kisame had put it. Her earlier tears were proof she was not as unaffected as she let on, but she had promised to allow him to bring down Akatsuki's artist. Perhaps she needed to play a part in it as well for her peace of mind.

When all was settled the group sent Hidan out into the rain to purchase a few things. The wanted communicators since they would be spending some time within the village they needed to stay in touch even when not in each other's presence. Itachi was not certain he could stomach too much time with the immortal.

He did not however like the fact that Sakura's days would be spent roaming the village. He would not be able to remain with her or their cover would be blown. However, Kisame and Hidan would be taking the night shift alerting them only if the Akatsuki team showed their faces. As long as they were here Sakura would be all his when once the sun went down. That was something that he could easily get used to.

-----------------------------

"Anything?" A voice asked in Sakura's ear.

"Nothing." She replied to Itachi who insisted on checking in with her every thirty minutes.

She did not mind. She had chosen her post at a café reading through a medical text that she had purchased with him in mind. Not only did it allow her a clear view of the entrance to the art supply shop, but it allowed Itachi to look down from their room's window and see her whenever he desired. The last two days had been so nice that she could almost forget why they were here.

Her days were spent bathing in the warm sun leisurely reading and sipping on her favorite tea. Her evenings, once their other partners relieved her, were spent studying samples of Hidan's blood and tissue that he had graciously provided her. She remembered when she had first asked, he had refused her, but one look from Itachi had changed his mind. When she decided each night that she had studied as much as she could, and her eyes were too weary to continue she would go to Itachi's side.

She smiled to herself as she turned her page; she found herself loving him more with each passing day. There were times when his overprotectiveness could grate on her nerves, but it was kind of cute if she thought about it. She just hoped that they all survived this mess so that she could work on trying to open herself more once again.

She was not sure that she would ever be the girl who had foolishly thrown herself into this world and walked out of her village, but she wanted to at least be able to give Itachi all that he deserved. She wanted to make sure that he could really feel her love, not just know that it was there. She wanted to have those rare moments where she got a smile or even a small laugh from him. Someday, she mused as she flipped another page. Someday when they were safe, she vowed to show Itachi what it was like to truly be loved.