Chapter 78

"What the hell happened?" Tsunade questioned as she began working on Sakura's wounds the minute that Naruto leapt in through the window and laid her on the Hokage's desk.

"Itachi's brother hurt the nice pretty lady." A distraught man in an Akatsuki cloak explained when he jumped in.

"Why is there an Akatsuki member in my office?" Tsunade turned her glare on Naruto.

"He is one of Sakura's friends; I think." Naruto told her. "He is harmless."

"Tobi is here to protect her." The man in the orange mask proclaimed.

"Well take that damn cloak off." The Hokage ordered. "I can't have anyone seeing you in Konoha wearing that."

The three occupants of the office were silent as Tsunade poured her healing chakra into Sakura's severely damaged body. Finally, she had the wound completely closed not even a sign of a scar. She pulled her hands back after tenderly brushing the hair out of the kunoichi's face.

"The Uchiha did this?" Her seemed to be on fire with her rage.

"He was fighting Itachi." Naruto explained. "When we got there Sasuke had him, or would have, if Sakura wouldn't have got in the way. Is she going to be alright?"

"I don't know." Tsunade sadly shook her head. "She lost a lot of blood, but you know better than anyone that with the Kyuubi she at least stands a chance."

"Shouldn't pretty lady go to the hospital?" The man apparently named Tobi asked.

"Damn right she should." Tsunade told him. "But that isn't an option. Sakura was banished from the village. I want you two to take the tunnels to my house; let no one see you."

"Tobi is good at sneaking around." The overly cheerful man declared.

"Aren't you coming to watch over her?" Naruto asked.

"I've done everything that I can for now." Tsunade shook her head. "I'll be along soon, but I am going to wait on the rest of your team."

-------------------------

"Where is she?" Kakashi asked as the team's remaining members came bursting into Tsunade's office.

"She is at my house." The Hokage answered. "You know as well as I do that she is still banished."

"Will she recover?" Sai asked with a genuine look of concern on his face.

"I am not sure." Tsunade sighed. "I had her stable when I sent her to my house. The rest is up to her."

"Do you mind if we go see her?" Shikamaru asked.

"Of course not." She granted. "Just remember that no one can know she is here."

She watched as the men started to leave the room all of them looking relieved and worried at the same time.

"Not you Uchiha." She stopped Sasuke before he reached the door. "You and I have to talk."

Sasuke closed the door and walked back to face his Hokage.

"I distinctly remember telling you that you were not to go after Sakura." Tsunade held him in her steely gaze.

"I had to save her." Sasuke looked at the ground before his feet. "Itachi could have killed her."

"But he didn't, did he?" The blonde laughed. "That was all you. Tell me, was your revenge worth it?"

"No." The Uchiha admitted as he hung his head even lower. "I never meant to hurt her."

"Yet you did." Tsunade sadly shook her head. "Listen to me because if you don't this time, I will personally make sure that you pay. Itachi did commit a horrible wrong against you, whether he was ordered to or not. But are you willing to spill more of Sakura's blood to get your revenge? Itachi has been there for her when we have not. I know that you wanted to go with her, but she cared too much for you to let that happen. So, she was out there all alone and for whatever reason your brother found her. Like it or not, he has been the one helping her to survive in the world out there, a world that you know can be an ugly place. If you take him away, then you take away her only protection. Not to mention I have a feeling that whatever you throw at Itachi, Sakura will jump in the way. So, tell me now are you willing to hurt her?"

"No." Sasuke raised his eyes to look in to Tsunade's.

"Even if it means that you never get your vengeance?" She enquired.

"It is not worth it." The truth of his words was evident in his eyes.