Chapter 34

Itachi had been searching for some time, but he feared that it was to no avail. He remembered the time that he had searched for the kunoichi when she dropped off his radar. If she did not want him to find her then he would not. Just as he was about to turn back, he felt her. It was as though she suddenly decided to reveal herself to him with a gentle pulse of chakra to let him know that she was still there. He raced to where he felt her and was relieved when he could sense that she would not run.

"I thought that you were going to leave." The relief in Itachi's voice was evident to Sakura's ears.

"Oh, I was." She told him.

"What changed your mind?" He asked as he took a step towards her.

"I had a talk with the Kyuubi." Sakura admitted. "He convinced me that you were worth sticking around for.

"I am sorry that I caused you distress Sakura. It was not my intention; it was only recently pointed out to me that I may have been selfish to do so." He now stood directly in front of her. "It was never my desire to cause you harm. When I asked you to fight, I discovered that I am not able to hurt you, nor do I want to do so."

"I know that you would never physically hurt me Itachi." She looked up into his eyes. "What I think you fail to see is that emotionally you could easily rip me apart."

"I shall have to remember to be more careful with you." Itachi softly told her as he moved a strand of hair behind her ear. "I promise you that I will try. For now, will you please return home with me?"

"I would be happy to." She offered him the largest and most genuine smile that she had since they had met.

Looking down into her smiling face Itachi wished that he could become the man that she saw him as. In that moment he wanted more than anything to make her smile like that every day for the rest of her life. He was now certain that he would never harm her or allow her to fall into enemy hands. But he was equally sure that he would be unable to remain with her for the rest of her days.

He would however, thanks to her, be able to face his fate knowing that he had at least one friend in the world. He vowed to himself that before his time came, he would find a way to assure her safety, and leave her with fond memories. He would do his very best to ensure that when she remembered him it would be with one of those breath-taking smiles.