Chapter Two

Nya:

I try not to think too much about my brother's words as I dress the next morning. The company is very strict about dress code, so unfortunately that has me stuck in a suit, complete with a pencil skirt. At least in the winter I can keep on my woolen blazer, and wear warm black tights and oxfords instead of heels and see-through hose.

See, I've never had good luck with dates. My last boyfriend was the one who took me to Junior Prom. After that... well, I usually prefer not to talk about it.

All would be well and fine with that, and I'm perfectly happy as a single woman. But Kai keeps trying to set me up. Let me just say, it never works. I hadn't even had a crush in years, until last week. That was when I met him. Well, met isn't really the right word. I don't even know his name, but I do know that he's the son of one of the bosses, and the heir to the company.

Just thinking of him, I decide to clasp a pearl necklace around my neck. Then I tie my shoes, and head to the bus stop.

All day, I try to put it all out of my mind. I'll deal with it later. I'll find someone. I have to. My days fall into a rhythm. I always skip lunch to avoid Mr. Smartypants Walker.

Then suddenly it's Friday, and I'm packing up my briefcase. And realizing that I've put off this whole finding-a-date thing too long. Now I'm surely in for it. Maybe I can pretend to be sick? I hope, but I know Kai'll see right through me. I'm his sister, after all.

I bite my lip, trying to convince myself that maybe a blind date wouldn't be so bad- surely even my brother wouldn't set me up with someone too horrible. But then again...

Feeling miserable, I finally arrive at the elevators. And of course, just my luck, absolutely no one is waiting- except for Jay.

"Nya!" Is it just my imagination, or do his eyes light up when he sees me? "Where have you been this week? I haven't seen you around the past few days."

Yeah, that was on purpose. "I was, uh, really busy." I say. "Sorry."

"No problem." Just then, the elevator dings. He holds out his hand to me. I don't want to, but I take it.

Luckily, when we enter the metal box he drops my hand. I steal a glance at him. He's wearing a navy blue peacoat, which happens to be exactly the same color as my own coat. And he's replaced his fedora with a burgundy knitted beanie, complete with a yarn pom-pom. I have to admit, between the hat- which also perfectly contrasts his deep blue eyes- the coat, and the sprinkling of freckles across his nose, he looks kinda cute.

What?! Nya, is there something wrong with you?! I chide myself, but it's too late. Now I know I'll never be able to look at him without seeing the cute, boyish side of him again.

Then an idea creeps into the back of my mind. I know I shouldn't but...

All of a sudden I blurt out, "Want to come to dinner with me?"

"What?" He asks.

"I mean, if you're not busy..." I can feel my face becoming bright red. "I'm going to dinner with my brother and his girlfriend, and they told me to bring a- a friend."

He smiles at that, clearly he likes being considered my friend. "Of course."

When the elevator doors open, we exit the building. "Um, should I follow you, or..." Jay asks. When I realize what he means, I blush.

"I, um, don't have a car. I usually take the bus." I confess.

"Oh, okay, you can drive with me if you want." Jay says.

I nod, and he leads me to his car. I guess I'm expecting something fancy, but this is... not. The car is a weathered, midnight blue two-seater. It's slightly rusty, but well cared-for. We place our briefcases in the trunk, and sit down inside the car.

"Do you know where Chen's Noodle House is?" I ask.

"Afraid not. I've never been there, though I hear it's very good. You'll have to direct me."

I nod, and Jay pulls out of the lot. I focus on telling him where to go, and try not to think about why I'm bringing him. Maybe it'll be fun. Maybe I can cause some kind of accident to discourage my brother from finding me more dates.

Finally we pull into the parking lot behind my best friend's restaurant, and I take pity on him. I ought to clue him in on something, at least. As I contemplate how to do it, he gets out of the car and opens my door, offering me his hand, which I barely manage not to push away. Instead, I let him help me out of the car and lead me around to the front door. I spot Skylor personally greeting guests just inside, though I know she's really waiting for me- no, for us. Just before we pass through the doors, I lean in and whisper in Jay's ear.

"Just pretend to be my date."

A/N: I know this one was short, but I'm about to leave on a trip, and I thought I should give you guys something before I leave. Thank you so much for reading my story, I'm super thankful to you all. If you can, please comment whose perspective I should do next!