Chapter 13: Things Happen!

I managed to get the Hanasaki family back to the one of the police stations in the district, and I left Delilah with a hug.

"I guess I'll see you in school tomorrow?" She nodded, and she walked inside the building, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

Dammit, you should have done something else!

What else could I have done?

The question continued to plague me as I got onto my bed.

.......

The next day was painful.

I woke up tired, groggy, and not in a good mood. But I managed to get up and get dressed.

I biked over to my school, and for some reason, my hands were very sweaty.

I arrived, and on my way to homeroom, I spotted Delilah, but I didn't get a chance to talk to her.

When we got into the homeroom, there were a bunch of questions, but Delilah couldn't answer them.

I kept quiet. There was no reason to say anything.

Throughout the day, I went through my classes, but I kept thinking about Delilah. I don't know why. She just kept showing up.

Finally, lunch came around.

Delilah was already in the cafetorium, and she waved me over.

I sat down across from her, and she let out a sigh. "What is it?"

"Well, now...you're a vigilante. A few months ago, I would have been the happiest girl in the world...but now...I'm not so sure."

I held up a finger. "I don't like where this is going."

Delilah sighed again, and I started to sweat. "I don't either." She looked up to meet my eyes. "But now it's dangerous. Our relationship...someone could put you into a situation where you have to choose...I don't want you to have to make that choice." The pieces snapped into place. "It's...it's over."

All the fight left me. I slumped forward while a feeling of defeat covered me like a skintight suit. I let out noises about understanding, and got up, walking away.

I sat at our table, where I slumped onto the table.

"Whoa, what's up?"

Joshua had been my friend for...the longest time. He already knew what this meant. "Wow. You really got...how do I say this...kicked, I guess." He turned to Koen. "Delilah dumped him."

Koen reeled backwards. "Man, that's tough." I had finally gathered up enough energy to sit properly, and I nodded.

"Yeah."

Joshua placed his hand on my shoulder. "Look, it's not the end of the world. You still got some other things to do brother."

"You're right...like giving Alex what he deserves."

Joshua stared at me.

"Alex who?"

I waved my hand. "Don't worry about it. I will."

For the first time I remember, my friends were silent while we ate.