Chapter 3

Ryleigh's fingers flew across the buttons on the DJ table, then stroked the records as the rave music blasted even louder. Her noise canceling headphones assisted in dulling the intensity of the music. She was wearing a blue halter top with a pair of skinny jeans and knee-high suede boots. Her long crimson hair spilled over her exposed breasts as she danced to the music that she created. She wore a genuine smile as she watched the bodies around the table writhe as the strobe colors washed out their auras. It was almost like being truly human for a moment; the strobe lights severely impacted the auras of everyone around her, their natural auras drowned out by artificial auras. She could still see a faint outline of white for each human, but it was dimmed. The human guarding her was a bouncer named Kaleb. She trusted him very quickly as his white aura mingled with orange, a sign of protection. He was taking his job of ensuring her safety very seriously, and not one human between him and the table even attempted to breach the barrier. Kaleb was a rather large human that made Ryleigh's small frame even more recognized.

Ryleigh noticed Kaleb's muscles ripple through his back as someone in the crowd stumbled forward. The human quickly corrected himself, and Kaleb relaxed slightly. Ryleigh smirked as she continued to dance to her music. She appreciated that her physique made her appear small and helpless, it was a comfort when she could defend herself against someone who thought that she could not do so. Her magic aside, Ryleigh and Bailey had also taken martial arts classes with Ryleigh's impending birthday. Bailey briefly mentioned celebrating Ryleigh's birthday, but Ryleigh was undecided. A birthday should be a celebration, but she also knew that it also made her a target. Not to mention, she was not trying to be around her sister for at least a week after her birthday to keep her sister safe.

Ryleigh's magic crackled under her skin suddenly. She flinched as her magic pounded against her head and sharply jerked her head up. Her eyes landed on the second floor of the club that was sheathed with a railing of knotted metal. She saw three men standing and engaging in pleasantries with handshakes. Vampires, she realized. Their black auras were hard to see in the darkness of the club, but the flashes of color from the strobe lights accented their auras just enough to make them detectable. She wondered how long they had been present in the club. My magic should have told me sooner, she thought. One of the vampires was taller than the other two, and his aura appeared even darker than theirs. He had blonde hair and was dressed in a suit that barely restrained the muscles underneath from bursting through. He did not possess the large clusters of muscles that Kaleb flaunted, but the vampire definitely would have been a fair challenge against Kaleb, had he been human himself. The other two vampires' black auras were lighter than his, and neither vampire was as physically built as he was.

Ryleigh studied the male vampires curiously. The two vampires that the one in the suit was meeting with were slightly shorter than he was and did not display a swell of muscles like he did. The other two were dressed more casually than the suit vampire was, both of them wearing jeans and a t-shirt. She noticed that one of the vampires had blonde hair, while the other had brown hair. They had their backs facing her as they conversed with the suit vampire, which gave her full view of the suit vampire. His brown eyes were somehow bright in the darkness of the club, almost an auburn color, and his chiseled jaw relaxed as a small smile played against his lips. He was breathtaking. She was sure that the other two vampires would be beautiful as well; vampirism eliminated any flaws in the skin and preserved a youthful physique for their immortality. But this one is different, she thought. Something about him ignited a response in her magic. Judging by the severity of his aura, he is more than likely the most dangerous vampire out of the three. She had learned that a darker aura in a supernatural being was a result of the intensity of the being itself; the other two vampires were not as much of a threat as the one in the suit.