Chapter 29

Kristopher raked a hand through his hair as he walked with Bailey toward Logan's property. Ryleigh had tossed the card that Logan gave her in the chair in the motel room, so Kristopher had been able to locate the address. He loathed needing to ask the wolf for help, the very same wolf who insinuated having a child with her, but he despised himself even more right now. She was taken while I slept, he remembered. While I slept, she felt a threat, and was taken. He knew that a vampire had found her. More than likely, Master had hired another Karizma Killer to track her magic's patterns and bring him his trophy. Kristopher had to believe that she was still alive. Kristopher himself had brought Karizmas to the brink of death but had always been told to not kill them completely; just bring them in mostly dead and walk away. He had no idea what the Master did with them after he dropped off their bodies, but he could not imagine that it was anything pleasant. Her blood was addicting alone, but each Karizma was physically attractive as well. Master had the most delicious, powerful blood on the planet, coupled with a woman that was physically appealing.

Kristopher snarled suddenly, and he noticed Bailey cock an eyebrow at him. Stop thinking about it, he scolded himself. He never cared what had happened to them before, so he never asked. He had been rewarded so handsomely that it was like a drug deal; drop off the product, collect the payment, and leave. But Ryleigh is so much more, he thought. So is Bailey. He glanced toward the younger Karizma and could only fathom the pain that she was experiencing. Kristopher loved Ryleigh more than he had ever loved anyone, but he had not known her for near as long as the sisters knew each other; they had grown up only having each other. Ryleigh had made her peace with dying, and her sister surviving without her, but Kristopher had not considered the other side of that situation; Bailey had not made the peace with that yet.

Kristopher's red eyes brightened as he heard a low growl. He instantly grabbed Bailey's hand and pulled her behind him. There was a wolf on guard duty. Kristopher had anticipated as much; the sky was so dark that the village was damn near invisible to the naked eye, but his enhanced vision allowed him to penetrate the cloak. He felt Bailey's magic tense behind him, and he squeezed her hand. The wolf was doing its job and alerting his boss of intruders, there was no need to fight here. Not yet anyway, Kristopher thought.

A gray wolf leapt at Kristopher and landed directly in front of his feet. The wolf's bright gold eyes challenged Kristopher's red ones as it growled again. The wolf tilted its head suddenly and attempted to look around Kristopher at the person behind him, but Kristopher shifted his body to shield her. Without Bailey's ascension, the wolves could not sense that she was a Karizma, just that she was a witch, and he would be damned if a wolf tried to fight her for trespassing.

"We are not here to fight," Kristopher spoke slowly. "I just need to meet with your Alpha. It is important." The gray wolf growled again and crouched low, preparing to pounce for a fight. Bailey's magic swirled around Kristopher, and he squeezed her hand again. "Stop," he growled to Bailey. "We are not going to fight them."

"What if they attack first?" she hissed.

"Then you run while they attack me. You are not fighting," he ordered as his eyes remained on the wolf before him. The wolf titled its head again as it observed the conversation. A loud howl was ripped from the wolf's throat suddenly. Kristopher's fangs descended instinctively, and he pulled Bailey's chest flush against his back. His grip on her hand tightened, and he heard her grimace in pain.

"Check the south perimeter, Ryan," Logan's voice called. The wolf instantly departed, and Logan's form took its place. Logan crossed his arms over his bare chest as his blue eyes studied Kristopher. "What is it?"

"We need your help," Kristopher said as his fangs retreated into his gums. He gently pulled Bailey to stand beside him. "Bailey, this is Logan, the Alpha Lycan."