Chapter 9

Ryleigh moaned into the mouth of her previous dance partner, Adam. He had her hands pinned above her head against the wall in the hallway that led to the bathrooms of the club. She kissed him desperately, eagerly, to relieve the building sensation that was threatening to lower her reserve and pursue what she really wanted. Who she really wanted. Kristopher's dance had surfaced the feelings that she had been pushing down, that she had succeeded in suppressing until the moments that he would touch her skin. Their games of chase during her shifts brought those feelings to the surface rather briefly; it was more like friends flirting with each other. But the dance, that was different.

Adam groaned and arched his hips against her. His free hand cupped her bare ass beneath her dress. His lips left hers and began attacking her neck. Ryleigh moaned and arched her body to meet his. He was littering kisses on the spot of her neck where she had felt Kristopher's fangs. She cursed herself as the vampire invaded her thoughts, distracting her from the distraction that she had sought out. She had hoped that Adam would take her mind off Kristopher for the night, but everything that the human did reminded her of the vampire.

"I can't, I'm sorry," Ryleigh breathed as her body betrayed her by reacting to Adam further. She felt the arousal build in her core, her muscles tighten in anticipation. But it's not for him, she thought. Adam grunted and bucked his hips against her again. He slid his hand from her ass to her thong that was guarding her core. He traced circles along the front of her thong, and she simultaneously moaned and cursed herself. Her body was not fully betraying her mind, because her mind was focused on Kristopher. My body is betraying my eyes, she thought bitterly.

"Are you sure?" Adam murmured as he kissed her neck again. "You sure feel like you can."

"I shouldn't," Ryleigh whispered. "Please, I'm sorry."

"You should," Adam growled lightly. His grip on Ryleigh's wrists tightened suddenly. His free hand slipped a finger beneath her thong and teased her entrance as it swirled her clit. Ryleigh's lust filled haze quickly disintegrated into sobered frustration. She struggled against Adam's grasp. "Adam, I said no," she warned.

"Your body didn't," Adam replied. He thrust one of his fingers into her.

Ryleigh's magic exploded hot blood through her veins. She gasped, and Adam groaned in response. Her body felt like it was on fire, burning her from the inside out, but Adam took no notice. He had assumed that her response was to him. "Stop, Adam," she ordered. She felt her magic intensifying as it fought her to gain control of her body. Her magic's tendrils began to seep out of her skin and circle the air around her and Adam. She felt the tendrils turn into daggers, and they readied themselves in the air to impale into Adam. Her magic knew that she was in trouble, and was going to protect her.

Adam growled and his hand left her entrance as he began to fumble with his pants. "Adam, no!" she yelled. She inhaled sharply as the tendrils' sharpened, descending closer to the human in front of her. The screech of Adam's zipper opening caused her magic to tighten against them. Her magic became barbed wire around the couple; one wrong move by Adam, and he would be impaled. Ryleigh writhed under Adam's grasp again, but his free hand sharply cupped her ass as he began to angle himself toward her. "Stop!" Ryleigh screamed. Her magic exploded and impaled his face. To the naked eye, there was nothing that had caused the bleeding that began to pour out of his eyes and nose, but Ryleigh felt her magic clawing away under his skin, urging more blood to run free.

Instinctually, Adam released Ryleigh completely. He touched his face feverishly and horror consumed him as he discovered blood on his hands. "What the hell happened?" he shrieked. "What did you do to me?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't fucking paly dumb!" Adam snapped. He hands connected with her throat as he gripped it tightly. Ryleigh gasped and clawed at his hands as her magic flared again. Blood poured faster out of Adam's eyes and nose. "Make it stop!"