Chapter 6

Kristopher sat on the couch of his club in the restricted section. He had his whiskey with ice in one hand, his other hand outstretched against the back of the couch. He was wearing a suit with a dark purple tie, his long legs crossed over each other. His eyes were fixated on the DJ booth through the railing of the second floor. He could not see Ryleigh, but he could sense her. He took another sip of his drink.

The last week with her had been entertaining. Since he was the first of the supernatural that she interacted with, he had been more patient with allowing her to express herself. Each day during her shift, her magic would brush against his skin. Her magic's greeting increased by the minute, to where she had surprised him by constantly brushing his skin for the duration of her shift. He had returned the favor by utilizing his super speed on her; if her magic touched him, he would dart off down to her to touch her skin with his fingers and return to his seat on the couch within the blink of an eye. His speed made him invisible, no human could see him; neither could Ryleigh, but she could feel him, and that was the point. It was like their supernatural counterparts were having a private dance session, forbidden to the visual and only approved by the senses.

Liam had regained his position beside Kristopher on the couch. Liam wore a white muscle shirt with a pair of jeans, while Grayson sat opposite of them on the other couch with a black muscle shirt and a pair of jeans. The two vampires had other obligations during the week, which had made Kristopher's game with Ryleigh less stressful. Tonight, they had returned to drink with him, and he had resisted the urge to touch Ryleigh. Her magic was constantly brushing his face, taunting him to return the gesture. Vampires and witches had a terrible past together, they did not mingle anymore; yet, here Kristopher was, beginning to befriend one.

"Something changed in your DJ," Liam said with a nod.

"What do you mean?" Kristopher asked.

"Her magic is stronger than it was last week, so much so that it suffocates the club. Did you not notice?" Liam asked skeptically.

"Maybe she feels threatened by something," Kristopher said nonchalantly. He had noticed her magic's strength slowly flex itself more and more during the week, but today it was different. Today, her magic remained in hyperdrive. He took another sip from his drink. He had been here for the past two hours, and not once had her magic faltered. Her magic remained completely, perfectly, alert. He felt concern rise for her, and his jaw clenched. He knew that magic running constantly would exhaust the witch conjuring it, but he should not be concerned with her health. He should not be concerned about how its explosive nature will affect her. She was a witch, he should not be concerned with her at all.

"Do you think we should be concerned with whatever is threatening her?" Grayson asked lazily. Grayson's eyes were fixated on the dance floor to observe the humans. Kristopher knew that Grayson was not actually concerned with whatever was threatening Ryleigh, but he asked the question that he was sure that Liam was wondering as well. Whatever was threatening Ryleigh had her magic working overdrive to protect herself; a witch wielding so much power could be more dangerous than the threat posed to her.

"I don't believe so," Kristopher spoke. "She seems to be able to wield her magic rather well."

"You sound certain, brother," Liam said.

"I've spoken to her," Kristopher shrugged. "She does not allow her magic to control her, she controls it."

"How do you know this?" Liam asked.

"Because her magic greets me every night and does nothing more than touch my skin. If her magic controlled her, I'm sure I would have been dead by now. Whatever is scaring her, she can handle it."