Chapter 8

Kristopher straightened in his seat on the couch as the smell of lavender began to fill the room. Witches, he thought. He could sense that there were two of them, and both of the witches' magics were strong. He ran a hand through his hair and clenched his jaw. It was not uncommon for other supernatural beings to frequent his club, it was one of the most popular clubs in Vancouver, but it did not ease him. Kristopher took a drink from his glass and nodded tersely to Grayson. "Do you feel it?"

"Relax, Kris, it's probably nothing," Grayson shrugged. Liam had been otherwise occupied tonight, but Grayson remained on his claimed couch to observe the humans below.

Kristopher sighed and set his glass on the table. He stood up and walked over to the railing for the second floor. While it was not uncommon, it was still his club that the magic was resonating in. I need to at least go check it out, he thought. He straightened his suit and looked over at Liam. "I'm going to investigate, just to be safe."

"Grab me another drink while you're down there?" Grayson asked.

"Be back in a bit," Kristopher nodded. He descended the stairs of the club.

Kristopher had given Ryleigh the weekend off to rest. Something had spiked her magic recently, and he knew that it was taking a physical toll on her, even though she did not show it. He did not appreciate the replacement DJ near as much as Ryleigh, but he refused to allow her to work seven days a week. He cursed himself silently. There was nothing wrong with the replacement DJ, he was just biased. He raked a hand through his hair roughly. I need to stop this with her, he thought. But he felt drawn to her, a desire to protect her and befriend her.

The lavender smell intensified as he weaved his way through the crowd. He restrained an instinctual snort to expel the scent from his nostrils. His eyes landed on a brunette in a red cocktail dress suddenly. She was dancing alone, but the power of her lavender scent confirmed that she was one of the witches in his club. She jerked her head up suddenly and bore her eyes into his. He simply nodded in acknowledgement and turned to make his way to the other side of the crowd. His goal was not to harm the witches in the club, just to keep an eye on them. Kristopher turned around to face the second lavender scent and instantly stopped in his tracks.

Ryleigh was wearing a sexy blue dress that exposed her creamy skin. It hugged her curves in all the right places, and her breasts threatened to spill out as she was dipped by the human man that was dancing with her. Her crimson hair fell beneath her shoulders, and her stunning neck was revealed to him. His eyes traced the skin of her neck, the vein pulsing beneath it in excitement and nervousness. He felt his fangs tickle his gums as the sound of her heartbeat greeted his ears. He clenched his jaw as he began walking towards her.

The man pulled Ryleigh into his arms and pressed her close to his chest as he continued to dance with her. Kristopher's eyes flashed auburn at the skin that her back permitted to be bare, the trail of her dress ending at the flush of her perfectly sculpted ass. He had found her attractive, sure, but she had never worn anything so perfectly tailored to her form before. She was stunning and sexier than he had ever imagined. She is still a witch he reminded himself, but the reminder fell on deaf ears. His pursuit to her did not change course. He rolled his shoulders as he fought against his fangs from descension. His fangs threatened to appear out of arousal, and the realization enraged him. I cannot be attracted to a witch, he thought.

The man that was dancing with Ryleigh slowed his dancing as his eyes connected with Kristopher's. Kristopher was standing directly behind Ryleigh, and he touched her shoulder lightly with one of his hands. She gently pulled herself out of the man's arms to turn around. "Kristopher," she said with a smile. "What are you doing amongst the customers?"